[web-team] list of mailing list guidelines

Marc MERLIN marc_news at valinux.com
Fri Mar 2 19:43:06 PST 2001

[Winston, can you try to see if you can fix your mailer?
1) not indending the parts of my post that you quote makes it harder to find
   where you answered
2) Your mailer outputs windows only characters (like ~R for ')
3) Your paragraphs are one line long
:-) ]

On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 06:47:28PM -0800, compunuts at telocity.com wrote:
> I promised you a list of messages about the needs we have about the web page we want to have on list policies http://lists.svlug.org/pipermail/web/sav
>
> <Winston> I’ve  studied current pages  that links  from the main  page and
> list  pages  as  well. It’s  certainly easy  to  understand  and  straight
> forward. On  the  list pages,  lists.svlug.org/mailman/listinfo/svlug  and

You'd be surprised.
One problem we have however is  that some people subscribed to the majordomo
list  a  long  time ago  and  were  converted  to  mailman, but  they  never
subscribed to mailman themselves.

> lists.svlug.org/mailman/listinfo/svlug-announce,  both  have direction  on
> how  to subscribe,  unsubscribe  and recover  lost passwords. It’s  fairly
> easy, to  me at least, to  follow. BUT if you  want us to create  a how-to
> page or  FAQ page for navigation  with mailing lists, we  can certainly do
> that. I’ve also  remember you mentioned  that we used  to have a  page for

Yes, list users have asked for  that several times. Both Michael and I wrote
an outline  in the URL quoted  above (I think only  one of the two  is there
though)

> that. What I will do  is that I will poke around in  svlug machine and see
> whether I can  make the wild-guess and retrieve the  old page and modified
> it. If  not, I  will write  from scratch  after testing  with the  mailing
> list. </Winston>

I'm sure Heather can tell you where the page is :-)

> <Winston> We will leave the link page alone but will modify it somewhat so
> that people will find the FAQ or HOW-TO easily from that page.  </Winston>

Either way, do what you think is best :-)

> <Winston> Yes. We will include some  undocumented features that I found on
> the mail archive. :-). Gosh.. it was ten pages. heheh </Winston>

Cool, thanks.