[web-team] New svlug machine

Marc MERLIN marc_news at valinux.com
Tue Jun 19 01:04:39 PDT 2001

For those who didn't know, the svlug  machine got some visitors a while ago,
more  specifically someone  who got  in with  the root  password, apparently
Michael got the root password compromized a  while ago when he sshed in from
a compromized machine with a trojanned ssh client.

There  was also  the detail  that svlug.org  was running  on a  machine that
didn't fit nicely in  a rack (the new one is a 2U  with 2 drives in software
Raid 1), so  even though I'm pretty  sure I removed the  crackers' access, I
reloaded the machine.

newsvlug.svlug.org is the temporary machine.

I obviously haven't  gotten everything right (as you can  tell from the main
page), but most of it should be there.
Let me  know if I missed  some perl modules  (I copied webfetch back  and it
seemd to work) or some other apache stuff.
The old machine is copied in /home/oldsvlug (at least is left what I haven't
moved back)

So far, can only login people who gave me a new password, namely:
- star
- winston
- bobby

I'm missing passwords for:
Ian and  Brian. Ian, I'll  try to call  you  --
and Brian, I know where to find you :-)

I'm hoping to be able to switch the machines over in a few days.
I've synced  the web stuff as  of last friday  and I'll do a  mailman resync
right before the switchover.