[web-team] feedback from SVLUG website

Heather star at betelgeuse.starshine.org
Thu Jun 14 12:39:25 PDT 2001

> I have questions about Linux OS, where can I post them? Please advise!

The Linux Gazette Answer Gang is one possible place.  These kind of
questions would probably be answered by people on SVLUG's regular
mailing list, too.  See http://lists.svlug.org/mailman/admin

> Here are a few of my questions:
>
> 1. Does Linux support DVD Writer?

yes.  Better than it supports reading them, in fact...

> 2. I try to load both MS WD2000 Professional and Linux 8.0 and 7.1 to an Intel IV 1.7 GHz system and failed. The WD2000 becomes the dominant one which totally suppresses the Linux. Is there anyone who know how to set it right and I can use Linux?

That's your MBR, not the whole system.  Go to our installfest this Saturday
at Computer Literacy in San Jose and probably some people can help you fix that.

http://www.svlug.org/wrkshop.shtml for directions
		Yes, we know it only mentions to april, we're having an
		update glitch right now.

> 3. Does Linux support Intel IV 1.7 GHz (with a system bus 400 MHz) ? or there is a limit for the speed of system bus what Linux can support?

Linux have no known speed limit.  If you have bugs tell the linux kernel coders.
(Memory limit maybe, but that's huge, so ignore it for now)

> 4. What is the different of 8.0 and 7.1? What is the latest?
> etc.

There are lots of distros.  Their numbering schemes overlap and it gets
strange quickly.   (And some distros don't try to number themselves near the
big brand competitors at all.)  Each distro is good a slightly different
things.  Best to ask this (in enough detail so you can decide on one) at
the installfest.

Usual differences are which version(s) of X, which versions of a Linux
kernel, what default apps they install.

> Thank you very much for pass my questions around.
>
> Art
> a_hsin at diconfiber.com

Good luck in your quest.

Heather Stern -*- star -*- starshine.org
    Webmaster: BALUG. Web Coordinator: SVLUG. Board: BayLISA. Hats: many.