[web-team] feedback from SVLUG website

Compunuts compunuts at telocity.com
Thu Jun 14 10:17:41 PDT 2001

Hi,
I'm a member web master of SVLUG (Silicon Valley Linux User Group). Here
are a few brief answers...

At 08:41 AM 6/14/2001 +0200, Art Hsin wrote:
>I have questions about Linux OS, where can I post them? Please advise!

We have the mailing list going. More information can be found at
http://lists.svlug.org/mailman/listinfo/ . You need to subscribe to be able
to post to the mailing list.

If you are newbie to Linux and like to have your questions answered by
fellow newbies, there are some BBSes on the web. Some are,
1. http://www.linuxjunior.org
2. http://www.linuxorbit.org

>  Here are a few of my questions:
>
>1. Does Linux support DVD Writer?

I have no idea since I don't have one. There are people who may be able to
answer this on the list....

>2. I try to load both MS WD2000 Professional and Linux 8.0 and 7.1 to an
>Intel IV 1.7 GHz system and failed. The WD2000 becomes the dominant one
>which totally suppresses the Linux. Is there anyone who know how to set it
>right and I can use Linux?

When you say Linux, which distribution?? For the records, Linux is just the
kernel (the small internal part of an operating system but an important
part in deed). Companies or organizations package their own software with
Linux kernel and make a distribution. Some of them are

1. http://www.slackware.com
2. http://www.debian.org
3. http://www.libranet.com
4. http://www.redhat.com
5. http://www.mandrake.com
6. http://www.caldera.com

This is only a few and last time I checked, there are more than 134 distros
(distributions).

>  3. Does Linux support Intel IV 1.7 GHz (with a system bus 400 MHz) ? or
> there is a limit for the speed of system bus what Linux can support?

I don't think there should be any problems with it although I'm not really
sure. You should ask more advanced hardware users on the list. AFAIK (as
far as I know), there shouldn't be any problems since many Linux distros
will run happily on AMD Althlon machines which use 200 MHz FSB and 2100MHz
memory bus....

>4. What is the different of 8.0 and 7.1? What is the latest?

Here again, what distro you are trying to ask?? I'm guessing you are
talking about Mandrake or Red Hat since they are the only ones with those
numbers for now.... if it's so, isn't 8.0 is later number than 7.1? :-)
Just kidding though.. yeah 8.0 should be the latest...... in Red Hat distro
and 8.1 is the latest Beta for Mandrake which follows 8.0, 7.2 and 7.1.

>Thank you very much for pass my questions around.

Since I've shown the place you can ask around, you can ask for
yourself..... Hope this helps you to get to the right direction you are
hoping to go......

Winston.

Linux is not an operating system but it's a way of life.