[web-team] Can't log on to svlug.org

Marc MERLIN marc_news at valinux.com
Thu Jun 14 00:13:13 PDT 2001

On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 12:11:30AM -0700, Heather wrote:

> > I can't get it myself either, I lost the temporary root password that I set
> > (3 days of 16H in a row before that).
> > The box  has to be  reloaded, so I  thought it'd be  better to set  your new
> > passwords on  the new  machine, I  can't be 100%  sure that  the old  one is
> > clean.
> > If there is something that needs to be changed right away, let me know, I'll
> > take care of it.
> >
> > If we can't get a new server up quickly enough, I'll fix the old one and
> > re-open our accounts on that one.
> >
> > Marc
>
> One BBC and that little root thingy should be fixed right up.  I think it's
> worth a few minutes downtime.  Esp since we should grab a current tarball of
> the site if we're going to do a fresh setup.

Don't worry, I know what to do :-)

> I can give you a temporary hash to use there (or on the new one) if you're
> afraid of someone getting the new passwd too.  I think it's bad for the
> kiddies to have better access than we do :)

I don't think they have any access left.

I had planned to  take care of all this when the new  server was up, but the
person supposed to build the basic server for me has been real real slow.

The plan  is to copy the  old server into a  subdir of the old  one, migrate
whatever data we need and switch  over when you're reasonably happy that the
new server is ready.