[web-team] First web pass. No, it's not ready...

Heather star at betelgeuse.starshine.org
Fri Jul 6 15:55:31 PDT 2001

> On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 01:46:16PM -0700, Heather wrote:
> > Sorry, I don't buy it's such a problem that it's been down if you only just
> > complained to me this last week.  Esp. since I haven't seen it crop up from
>
> Because this whole situation in the first place is utter bullshit.
> Sam is a domain squatter, end of story.
>
> It's not my job to watch his web site and his broken name servers.
>
> You also  seem to  forget that  the only  reason I  even mentionned  this is
> because I asked you if you could remove Penguin from the list of sponsors.

Since you know that I am willing to speak to Sam and you are not...

...you could have asked me any old time, to "do something" ... and I would
have done it then instead of now.  I consider whining about the past to be
a spilt milk problem.

The only answer to spilt milk is to clean it up, not kvetch about it.

> The current situation with svlug.com is ridiculous enough that we don't need
> to thank them in addition for being domain squatters.
> (Disclaimer: for those  who wouldn't know, Penguin isn't a  competitor of VA
> anymore since VA stopped selling hardware, just in case some would think I'd
> be mixing work and SVLUG)

No, I think your bad attitude on the point has nothing to do with VA.  Let
me deal with it and de-stress for a few.

> If  somehow you  can convince  Sam to  hand out  the domain  to whoever  (us
> preferably, but someone  who will actually serve the domain  and point it to
> our web  server would do),  that'd be awesome, but  it wasn't what  my first
> mail was about.
>
> On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 02:59:40PM -0700, Heather wrote:
> > Okay. I am in the process of fixing my own internic record (I use it so
> > rarely, it now points at an address I don't have :< ) ... but it seems
> > like a good idea, we should take on all 3.
>
> I recommend you switch to opensrs and ditch netsol altogether.
> http://www.opensrs.net/
> We use them for the svlug domains and many others, and they are great.

I didn't say *my domain's* internic record.  I said *my* internic record!

Whether I use them for my own domains or not, if any client wants me to
be an internic contact for them, I want my nic ID to work.   Comparing
apples and orange trees :)

Thanks to my sysadmin contacts I have a wide variety of choices to consider
for alternates as regards whole domains.  But that's offtopic.

If I turn my interest toward wanting Sam to give me the domain, the easiest
part would be if he makes me one or all of the role contacts, and for that,
I need a working Internic ID or they will surely screw it up.  I do not
think I could convince him to give you the domain, even if I thought that
were the best tack, and at the moment, I do not.

So it may be madness, but it's *my* madness, and yes, I do have a method
in there somewhere.