[web-team] First web pass. No, it's not ready...

Marc MERLIN marc_news at valinux.com
Fri Jul 6 13:25:35 PDT 2001

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 04:15:56AM -0700, Heather wrote:
> Actually, it appears the NIC record has expired;  however, please let me
> handle this my way for a few days longer, ok?

Nope, it didn't (not yet at least). I tried to get it last year when Sam didn't
pay his bill, but of course NetSol doesn't let you get expired domains.
Apparently, he ended up paying the bill eventually.

SVLUG Group (SVLUG2-DOM)
   3848 Harvest Drive
   Redwood City, CA 94061
   US

   Domain Name: SVLUG.COM

   Administrative Contact, Technical Contact, Billing Contact:
      Ockman, Samuel Isaac  (SIO10)  ockman at CS.STANFORD.EDU
      Penguin Computing
      965 Mission Suite 630
      San Francisco, CA 94103
      888-PENGUIN (FAX) 415-243-8181

   Record last updated on 01-Aug-2000.
   Record expires on 18-Jul-2001.
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   Record created on 18-Jul-1998.
   Database last updated on 6-Jul-2001 02:43:00 EDT.

   Domain servers in listed order:

   PASTA.PENGUINCOMPUTING.COM   209.81.10.250
   RICE.PENGUINCOMPUTING.COM    209.81.10.251

That said, if this time, he would agree  to let svlug take it over that'd be
ideal, but I'm probably not the best person to ask him :-)

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 10:52:43AM -0700, Ian Kluft wrote:
> It's the same problem with installfest.org.  So I guess whatever Marc is
> plotting to do to Sam, he'll do to me too.  :-)

Nah :-)
(actually, I'm not plotting anything anyway).

I guess the differences are:
1) You are responsible for installfest.*, so it's your problem :-)
2) If you didn't have to time to continue taking care of it, I'm guessing
   that you'd be willing to hand it over (Sam has refused in the past)

> No one had even asked about the domain so I allowed it to expire.  It's
> still in the grace period.  If you have heard from people, maybe you want
> to take it.  I had originally reserved them hoping to find helpers to do
> the maintenance.  Without such volunteers, I had to let it sit, holding
> them so that domain squatters wouldn't get their hands on them before
> real volunteers showed up.  But even for that, it's time to hand it off
> to someone more interested.

Have you considered asking on the svlug list?