[web-team] First web pass. No, it's not ready...

Marc MERLIN marc_news at valinux.com
Fri Jul 6 00:31:36 PDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 05:06:16PM -0700, Heather wrote:
> (having large-negative-numbers of free time is not the same as not caring.
>  Perhaps some sort of system-checker is in order, tho.)

Sorry, I don't buy this. Do you know how long it's been down?
Why does  he insist in  hogging this domain for  no good reason  except self
interest when he won't even maintain it?

moremagic:~$ ping 209.81.10.250
PING 209.81.10.250 (209.81.10.250) from 192.168.205.1 : 56 data bytes

--- 209.81.10.250 ping statistics ---
moremagic:~$ ping 209.81.10.251
PING 209.81.10.251 (209.81.10.251) from 192.168.205.1 : 56 data bytes

--- 209.81.10.251 ping statistics ---
moremagic:~$ nslookup svlug.com 209.81.10.250

moremagic:~$ host -t any svlug.com 209.81.10.250
Using domain server 209.81.10.250:

moremagic:~$ host -t any svlug.com 209.81.10.251
Using domain server 209.81.10.251:

What more is there to say?

> Just to make this clear, the redirector was there because *I provided it*.

Yes, I know.
I still  believe that it was  the wrong solution,  but it may have  been the
only one that did not involve getting ugly.

> I want people who have the wrong version of it noted to FIX THEIR BOOKMARKS
> and that means, that even if we serve it, something like,
>
> 	"You meant .ORG didn't you?"

Yep, that  there is  nothing incompatible  with this and  all 3  zones being
served off  the same  DNS servers,  and being  automatically in  sync, while
having .com being handled differently (with a redirect) on the same machine
that all the web pages are.

Look:
Domain Name: SVLUG.COM
(...)
Domain servers in listed order:

PASTA.PENGUINCOMPUTING.COM   209.81.10.250
RICE.PENGUINCOMPUTING.COM    209.81.10.251

The only  thing he ever  did on svlug.com, and  renewed the domain  with the
internic, preventing us from using it correctly for SVLUG.

> > BTW, as far as I am concerned, he is not even an svlug member anymore.
>
> ?? If he's on the list (this I dunno) and he comes to meetings (rarely

No, he isn't anymore.

> but I have seen him sometimes) then... whether you like or even despise
> him, he's still a member.

He's not. He hasn't  done anything for svlug in quite  a while (actually, he
resigned a bit  before I got elected),  nor has he shown up  at any meeting,
and he's not subscribed to any svlug list.
IIRC, his  Email started bouncing a  while ago and mailman  removed him from
the officers list.

> SVLUG membership is not exactly a feature which means much, except that
> you have an interest in Linux in the SIlicon Valley, and you don't live
> under a rock so you've come to some meetings.  Big whoop.

Eh, I'm not going to debate this, there's no point.
But it is important, because he  registered the domain as "SVLUG Group", and
he clearly doesn't meet any of the  definitions that would make him a member
anymore.

> By the way since I have all the hats I can possibly wear already, figuring
> out what might be bothering you about domain matters isn't tops on my
> telepathic-practice-targets list.  So if you want me to call people and
> turn on the Heather's-Charm-and-Tonfa smile, you have to *tell* me.  Paging
> me is even better, since I occasionally go into a programmer's haze and
> ignore email for a day or two.

I'm not too sure what there is to do about it.
If someone  can convince  him to just  hand the domain  over and  let people
manage it,  that'd be ideal. If  you can  do that, awesome. If  it's someone
else, that's fine too.
l've tried to close my eyes on the current situation, but time has confirmed
my believe that it was more than suboptimal, and didn't work (outside of the
fact that it was somewhere between charade and big joke)

If that doesn't work, I'm not sure. Anything else would be drastic, and if I
do it, people will probably think that I have some kind of personal vendetta
against him, when in real life, I have _much_ better things to do.

> > Either way, for next time:
> > magic(@va):~# apt-cache search perl | grep -i calc
> > libdate-calc-perl - Perl library for accessing dates
>
> whatever.  tmt1wtdi...

Well, not quite whatever. If it's a package, it gets automatically upgraded,
and you can automatically re-install all packages to a new machine.

> > category=svlug-meeting
> > posted=20010403
> > expires=20010405
> > title=SVLUG April 4 meeting in Cisco Building 9.
> > 	Join us to hear about Subversion, a compelling replacement for
> > 	CVS. We'll be in
> > 	if you haven't already set your watch ahead 1 hr, you want to do that.
>  ^^^^^^^ are these spaces?  my reader is showing TABs...

I think they're tabs, look in the file.

> > Good:
> > category=svlug-meeting
> > posted=20010403
> > expires=20010405
> > title=SVLUG April 4 meeting in Cisco Building 9.
> > 	Join us to hear about Subversion, a compelling replacement for
> > 	CVS. We'll be in
> > 	if you haven't already set your watch ahead 1 hr, you want to do that.
>  ^^^^^^^ so this indention is supposed to be 1 and only 1 tab, correct?

Ian would know what they're "supposed to be", I just know what I had to
change for our current version of webfetch not to die.

> > Why it worked on the old machine? No idea.
>
> maybe a copy process tr'd some of the characters.  Or one of our editors is
> doing it.  I visited a lot of files with vim and I wasn't careful about
> whether I called it using 'vi' or 'vim'.

I'm thinking it may not have worked we never noticed that it stopped working
because the page still displayed an old version.
It wasn't a space vs tab issue, it was a problem with no tab (or whitespace)
before a line in title.

> > either for now. If the site basically works,
>
> I haven't checked any of the crontabs  so I dunno if it's on automatic
> safely yet.  Have you?

I haven't gotten errors yet, does that count? :-)
If one thing  doesn't get updated as  it should, but doesn't  break the main
page, I wouldn't count that as a showstopper.