[web-team] First web pass. No, it's not ready...

Heather star at betelgeuse.starshine.org
Tue Jul 3 17:06:16 PDT 2001

> > ... But I did find lots of busted links, ...

> > I haven't gotten to the Installfest page, but I think someone else was
> > supposed to be maintaining that.  If so I'd like whoever that is to speak
> > up so I'm clued in again :)
>
> Thanks for fixing what you could. As for some links being out of date,
> that's life, we can't be perfect.

:>

> > numerous references to folks' logos have been "merged" onto the sponsor_imgs
> > versions of the logos. Check if any of them look stupid for being too big.
>
> BTW, I'd  like to remove the  Penguin Computing logo. I'm sick  and tired of
> Sam hoging  and squatting the  svlug.com domain which he  obviously couldn't
> care less about since the domain is yet again broken.

I've placed a call to Sam, reached him voice, and he says he will check what
is going on with it.

(having large-negative-numbers of free time is not the same as not caring.
 Perhaps some sort of system-checker is in order, tho.)

> I do not want to see that  redirecting bullshit anymore, he should just hand
> out the domain and let us serve it.

Just to make this clear, the redirector was there because *I provided it*.
I want people who have the wrong version of it noted to FIX THEIR BOOKMARKS
and that means, that even if we serve it, something like,

	"You meant .ORG didn't you?"

...will be provided.  Maybe I should whip up a page in the spirit of the
Nazi Frogmen for it though.

> BTW, as far as I am concerned, he is not even an svlug member anymore.

?? If he's on the list (this I dunno) and he comes to meetings (rarely
but I have seen him sometimes) then... whether you like or even despise
him, he's still a member.

SVLUG membership is not exactly a feature which means much, except that
you have an interest in Linux in the SIlicon Valley, and you don't live
under a rock so you've come to some meetings.  Big whoop.

By the way since I have all the hats I can possibly wear already, figuring
out what might be bothering you about domain matters isn't tops on my
telepathic-practice-targets list.  So if you want me to call people and
turn on the Heather's-Charm-and-Tonfa smile, you have to *tell* me.  Paging
me is even better, since I occasionally go into a programmer's haze and
ignore email for a day or two.

> > References are being tweaked to be mapped against /  ... this is cache
> > friendly, not "mirror me" friendly, unless the mirrors are full subdomains.
> > Since SVLUG is not highly mirrored, but is highly travelled to, this seems
> > the fairest trade.  (You're welcome to disagree with me, I like reasons for
>
> Sounds good.
>
> > Nobody has any idea what happened to installfest.com.  It had a .org too,
> > same problem.   DNS leads to Ian, but Ian's site doesn't have it - we have
> > fragments of it.  At the moment I'm avoiding linking to it.
>
> What did Ian answer when you asked him?

(Once upon an age ago he has said stuff about it, which I forget.)
I haven't gotten to that.

So, I left voicemail at the number Ian has in his domain contact info for
   Installfest.com.  We'll probably chat later this evening when he's
   home from work.

> > CGIs are in httpd's home, not /usr/lib/cgi-bin.  But, there is more missing.
> > 	Can't locate Vote/STV.pm in @INC
> > I found it in the old stuff but I suppose we should see that it hasn't been
> > corrupted before trying to use it.  cp-a'd the dir to my home so I can look
> > later.
>
> Thanks.
>
> > Built Date::Calc (thx CPAN!) to satisfy WebFetch.  It didn't help.
>
> Mmmh, I thought I  had gotten webfetch to work, that's  weird (maybe not all
> of it)
> Either way, for next time:
> magic(@va):~# apt-cache search perl | grep -i calc
> libdate-calc-perl - Perl library for accessing dates

whatever.  tmt1wtdi...

> > mk_live_links is an unhappy camper.  Since the front page depends deeply
> > on WebFetch stuff we ought to make this work even if we have to "set up
> > from Scratch" in that regard.  At least WebFetch is fresh, thanks Marc.
>
> Let's see:
> newsvlug:/home/httpd/html# /home/httpd/bin/mk_live_links svlug
> Use of uninitialized value in int at /usr/local/lib/site_perl/WebFetch/SiteNews.pm line 329, <news_data> line 856.
> WebFetch: error: Date::Calc::Month_to_Text(): month out of range at /usr/local/lib/site_perl/WebFetch/SiteNews.pm line 329, <news_data> line 856.
>
> Looking at  SiteNews, the  problem is  that printstamp  gets called  with an
> undefined/empty value.
>
> Entry: 20010403, SVLUG April 4 meeting in Cisco Building 9., priority( HASH(0x8346f6c) ), expired( HASH(0x8346f6c) ), 102, 20010403-000
> Entry: , , priority( HASH(0x8346fcc) ), expired( HASH(0x8346fcc) ), 103, -000
> Use of uninitialized value in int at /usr/local/lib/site_perl/WebFetch/SiteNews.pm line 330, <news_data> line 856.
> WebFetch: error: Date::Calc::Month_to_Text(): month out of range at /usr/local/lib/site_perl/WebFetch/SiteNews.pm line 330, <news_data> line 856
>
> Ok, I debugged  it some more and  the problem is that  webfetch doesn't seem
> happy with titles that have a line that doesn't start with a TAB:
>
> Bad:
> category=svlug-meeting
> posted=20010403
> expires=20010405
> title=SVLUG April 4 meeting in Cisco Building 9.
> 	Join us to hear about Subversion, a compelling replacement for
> 	CVS. We'll be in
> 	if you haven't already set your watch ahead 1 hr, you want to do that.
 ^^^^^^^ are these spaces?  my reader is showing TABs...

> Good:
> category=svlug-meeting
> posted=20010403
> expires=20010405
> title=SVLUG April 4 meeting in Cisco Building 9.
> 	Join us to hear about Subversion, a compelling replacement for
> 	CVS. We'll be in
> 	if you haven't already set your watch ahead 1 hr, you want to do that.
 ^^^^^^^ so this indention is supposed to be 1 and only 1 tab, correct?

> Why it worked on the old machine? No idea.

maybe a copy process tr'd some of the characters.  Or one of our editors is
doing it.  I visited a lot of files with vim and I wasn't careful about
whether I called it using 'vi' or 'vim'.

> I fixed svlug-news.txt and it's all happy now.

:D

> > About Linux now works - I point into Linuxdoc's Linux FAQ.  Past Meetings
> > has been filled up to April this year instead of the last.  I haven't yet
> > recooked the list pages, not sure how configurable the mailman stuff is,
> > or if we'd rather that I "wrapper" it anyway.  Search page has been cleaned
> > A LOT but now I need to put a sitemap in, and/or fix the CGI problems.
>
> Ok :-)
>
> > One CGI at a time... ugh...
>
> Do not try to be too fancy

I don't want to change *any* functionality, just get the same CGIs all
working (and noted what they are) again.

Directory cleanups only where possible to make invisible from the POV
of users who surf the web in normal fashion.

Well let me change that.  If it's cheap to FIX the stupid c.o.l.a
widget I would very much like that to happen.  It would be visibly a
good thing, from our

> either for now. If the site basically works,

I haven't checked any of the crontabs  so I dunno if it's on automatic
safely yet.  Have you?

> I'd
> like to switch machines and retire the old one.
> We can still make the new one better after it is up.

> > I really think the events/ and prev/ and maybe some other crufty floating
> > bits need to be merged effectively?  Some of the events *were* meetings.
>
> I think it's your call, you're the only person who knows the history.

That can happen after we release.

> On Sun, Jul 01, 2001 at 11:46:44PM -0700, Heather wrote:
> > Well, this is curious -- I guess the aliases aren't setup on the new box
> > yet.  But the RCS chomper works ;)
>
> web-team is not an alias, it's a mailman list.
> I haven't migrated mailman lists because the old one is still authoritative.

Fair.

> When the machines are ready to switch, I'll move the mailman stuff.
> (BTW, it should do a diff -u, anything else isn't really readable)

Ok, that's on the list during the crontab visit...

  . | .   Heather Stern                  |         star at starshine.org
--->*<--- Starshine Technical Services - * - consulting at starshine.org
  ' | `   Sysadmin Support and Training  |        (800) 938-4078