[web-team] First web pass. No, it's not ready...

Marc MERLIN marc_news at valinux.com
Tue Jul 3 16:13:00 PDT 2001

On Sun, Jul 01, 2001 at 11:27:50PM -0700, Heather wrote:
> It's not ready but it's getting better.  I took a first pass in with a
> Scrubbing Bubble (just one, I'm slow).  I've left the Link Fram for Winston.
> But I did find lots of busted links, and clean up some matter of organization.
> I haven't gotten to the Installfest page, but I think someone else was
> supposed to be maintaining that.  If so I'd like whoever that is to speak
> up so I'm clued in again :)

Thanks for fixing what you could. As for some links being out of date,
that's life, we can't be perfect.

> numerous references to folks' logos have been "merged" onto the sponsor_imgs
> versions of the logos. Check if any of them look stupid for being too big.

BTW, I'd  like to remove the  Penguin Computing logo. I'm sick  and tired of
Sam hoging  and squatting the  svlug.com domain which he  obviously couldn't
care less about since the domain is yet again broken.
I do not want to see that  redirecting bullshit anymore, he should just hand
out the domain and let us serve it.

BTW, as far as I am concerned, he is not even an svlug member anymore.

> References are being tweaked to be mapped against /  ... this is cache
> friendly, not "mirror me" friendly, unless the mirrors are full subdomains.
> Since SVLUG is not highly mirrored, but is highly travelled to, this seems
> the fairest trade.  (You're welcome to disagree with me, I like reasons for

Sounds good.

> Nobody has any idea what happened to installfest.com.  It had a .org too,
> same problem.   DNS leads to Ian, but Ian's site doesn't have it - we have
> fragments of it.  At the moment I'm avoiding linking to it.

What did Ian answer when you asked him?

> CGIs are in httpd's home, not /usr/lib/cgi-bin.  But, there is more missing.
> 	Can't locate Vote/STV.pm in @INC
> I found it in the old stuff but I suppose we should see that it hasn't been
> corrupted before trying to use it.  cp-a'd the dir to my home so I can look
> later.

Thanks.

> Built Date::Calc (thx CPAN!) to satisfy WebFetch.  It didn't help.

Mmmh, I thought I  had gotten webfetch to work, that's  weird (maybe not all
of it)
Either way, for next time:
magic(@va):~# apt-cache search perl | grep -i calc
libdate-calc-perl - Perl library for accessing dates

> mk_live_links is an unhappy camper.  Since the front page depends deeply
> on WebFetch stuff we ought to make this work even if we have to "set up
> from Scratch" in that regard.  At least WebFetch is fresh, thanks Marc.

Let's see:
newsvlug:/home/httpd/html# /home/httpd/bin/mk_live_links svlug
Use of uninitialized value in int at /usr/local/lib/site_perl/WebFetch/SiteNews.pm line 329, <news_data> line 856.
WebFetch: error: Date::Calc::Month_to_Text(): month out of range at /usr/local/lib/site_perl/WebFetch/SiteNews.pm line 329, <news_data> line 856.

Looking at  SiteNews, the  problem is  that printstamp  gets called  with an
undefined/empty value.

Entry: 20010403, SVLUG April 4 meeting in Cisco Building 9., priority( HASH(0x8346f6c) ), expired( HASH(0x8346f6c) ), 102, 20010403-000
Entry: , , priority( HASH(0x8346fcc) ), expired( HASH(0x8346fcc) ), 103, -000
Use of uninitialized value in int at /usr/local/lib/site_perl/WebFetch/SiteNews.pm line 330, <news_data> line 856.
WebFetch: error: Date::Calc::Month_to_Text(): month out of range at /usr/local/lib/site_perl/WebFetch/SiteNews.pm line 330, <news_data> line 856

Ok, I debugged  it some more and  the problem is that  webfetch doesn't seem
happy with titles that have a line that doesn't start with a TAB:

Bad:
category=svlug-meeting
posted=20010403
expires=20010405
title=SVLUG April 4 meeting in Cisco Building 9.
	Join us to hear about Subversion, a compelling replacement for
	CVS. We'll be in
	if you haven't already set your watch ahead 1 hr, you want to do that.

Good:
category=svlug-meeting
posted=20010403
expires=20010405
title=SVLUG April 4 meeting in Cisco Building 9.
	Join us to hear about Subversion, a compelling replacement for
	CVS. We'll be in
	if you haven't already set your watch ahead 1 hr, you want to do that.

Why it worked on the old machine? No idea.
I fixed svlug-news.txt and it's all happy now.

> About Linux now works - I point into Linuxdoc's Linux FAQ.  Past Meetings
> has been filled up to April this year instead of the last.  I haven't yet
> recooked the list pages, not sure how configurable the mailman stuff is,
> or if we'd rather that I "wrapper" it anyway.  Search page has been cleaned
> A LOT but now I need to put a sitemap in, and/or fix the CGI problems.

Ok :-)

> One CGI at a time... ugh...

Do not try to be too fancy  either for now. If the site basically works, I'd
like to switch machines and retire the old one.
We can still make the new one better after it is up.

> I really think the events/ and prev/ and maybe some other crufty floating
> bits need to be merged effectively?  Some of the events *were* meetings.

I think it's your call, you're the only person who knows the history.

On Sun, Jul 01, 2001 at 11:46:44PM -0700, Heather wrote:
> Well, this is curious -- I guess the aliases aren't setup on the new box
> yet.  But the RCS chomper works ;)

web-team is not an alias, it's a mailman list.
I haven't migrated mailman lists because the old one is still authoritative.

When the machines are ready to switch, I'll move the mailman stuff.
(BTW, it should do a diff -u, anything else isn't really readable)