[web-team] newsvlug.svlug.org

Heather star at betelgeuse.starshine.org
Sun Jul 1 13:50:22 PDT 2001

> On Sun, Jul 01, 2001 at 12:51:58PM -0700, Heather wrote:
> > Okay, I'm visiting now.  I've used the sneaky hack of tweaking my /etc/hosts
> > so www.svlug.org leads to the new one, during tests.
> >
> > 1.  SSI must be turned on for the svlug server.  That's a show stopper.
> >     To recreate the site so it is dependent on a different backend logic
> >     would be a lot of work.
>
> It should be turned on, but I agree that things aren't working:
> /etc/apache/httpd.conf
> AddType text/html .shtml
> AddHandler server-parsed .shtml
>
> I wasn't sure if it was an shtml problem, a php problem or else.

I will check permissions.  They might need the xbithack. {task switch}
Well, I dunno.  Making index.shtml at the top executable didn't help it
any.  I'll see if I can magick it into working :(

> > 2.  cronjobs have to exist to update the news widgets.  We have no ruler
> >     of cronjobs officially since Lisa left - Fetch has been running on
> >     automagic.  Which reminds me, it would be about time for me to fix
> >     the c.o.l.a bug.
>
> I moved the cronjobs to you.
> They should probably be listed in /etc/crontab though under any UID you wish
> (www-data I suppose)

I also have to untangle the mess that is our reference to installfesting
stuff.

> > It might be convenient if I had sudo privs to modify the http config,
>
> Done.

Thanks.

> Please give a quick overview of what you had to change/fix.

Will do, as soon as I discover it.

 Heather Stern - star at starshine.org -*- Starshine Technical Services
        Sysadmin Support & Training -*- consulting at starshine.org