[web-team] January Meeting Announcement

Steve Traugott stevegt at TerraLuna.Org
Thu Dec 20 12:20:03 PST 2001

Hi web-team, officers,

- Officers: assuming the location is correct, can someone go ahead and
  post this announcement on the list?  Can someone verify that I have
  the correct location for January?
- Heather: can you go ahead and post this on the web site?  I've
  already provided a suggested title at the top...
- Cisco liaison or anyone: can someone verify that VGA projectors are
  standard issue for SVLUG meetings?  (I.e. I don't need to request them
  each time.)  What about overhead projectors?  Wireless (802.11b) access
  for the speaker for demos etc?

I'll be out (checking mail sporadically, reachable at 650-868-6358),
in Florida for the holidays, from the 23rd thru the 1st.

Thanks all!

Steve

WHAT:
   Automating Linux Infrastructures

WHEN:
   Wednesday, 2 January 2002, 7pm-9pm or so.

WHO:
   Steve Traugott
   Founder, Infrastructures.Org
   Managing Partner, TerraLuna, LLC

ABOUT:
   Steve Traugott is a pioneer in the area of automated administration
   of clusters and enterprise systems; his "Bootstrapping an
   Infrastructure" paper at the 1998 LISA conference helped lay the
   groundwork.  Steve will cover the concepts and terminology of
   automated systems administration -- why automate, what components
   you need, the role of gold servers, CVS, LDAP, kickstart, makefiles
   that run at boot, tools like cfengine, file replication, and
   related subjects.  He'll also talk about technologies like
   ARK/Arusha, ISconf and others on the horizon.

     <http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/traugott98bootstrapping.html>
     <http://www.infrastructures.org>
   * Description of the LISA talk
     <http://www.usenix.org/sage/bureau/people/Traugott_Steve.html>
   * Steve's personal page
     <http://www.stevegt.com>

MORE ABOUT THE SPEAKER:
   Steve Traugott helped launch the term "Infrastructure Architecture"
   in the systems administration community, and has campaigned for
   industry acceptance of this "SysAdmin++" career track for the last
   several years.  He is a consulting Infrastructure Architect, and
   publishes tools and techniques for automated systems administration.
   His deployments have ranged from New York trading floors, IBM
   mainframe UNIX labs, and NASA supercomputers to web farms and
   growing startups.

   Steve is also an active developer on CPAN, and is author of the
   IPC::Session, Mail::TieFolder, and IS::Init modules.  He has long
   held a deep interest in improving organizations and human relations
   through the use of current communications technologies.  He and his
   wife Joyce have recently founded TerraLuna.Org, a small volunteer
   group working to develop a trust model and codebase for
   nonheirarchical organizations.

WHERE:
   Cisco Building 9.
   The land of NUMBERS. The VINEYARDS conference center.
   The side we are on is the Silver Oak/Jordan conference rooms,
   where a large Cisco fountain is usually not turned on.
   http://www.svlug.org/directions/cisco-9.shtml
   If you have any improvements to make, please let our Web Team
   know! web-team at svlug.org

NOTES:
   It's best if you arrive close to on time, as otherwise
   there may not be someone posted at the door to let you in.
     After the speakers end their presentation there is usually
   a Q&A session, time for job seekers and employers to meet,
   and often a few door prizes.
     When the meeting is over people are encouraged to chat a bit,
   but also to exit the building so Cisco can lock up.  Don't
   worry, a lot of us go to dinner afterward so there's plenty
   of time to chat outdoors or offsite.

We look forward to seeing you there!