[sf-lug] DNS, my IP address, bclug.ca, ... (some bits from SF-LUG meeting)

Ronald Barnes ron at ronaldbarnes.ca
Sun May 5 14:34:04 PDT 2024

Michael Paoli wrote on 2024-05-05 14:23:

> see newly added entry for kw.bclug.ca on the above.

Yay, that's not newly-added but newly discoverable.

The ticket was answered and the issue fixed. They're looking into how
the name servers for bclug.ca ended up pointing once back to Gandi and
twice to their DNS (dnsowl.com).

// guessing/presuming SOA SERIAL is seconds since UNIX epoch (a common
// practice, and especially with Dynamic DNS (DDNS) which is quite
// commonly used).
$ date -Iseconds -d @1714608000; date -Iseconds -d @1714939305
2024-05-01T17:00:00-07:00
2024-05-05T13:01:45-07:00

I'm surprised that the Gandi serial as epoch is only May 1st; it's been
a couple months-ish since the transfer (ah, late February).

Now I've got another item on my TODO list: review all the resources,
commands, and `dig` options from your email and today's session...

Thanks Michael! This has been fascinating and highly informative.

rb