[sf-lug] Draft of a note to my Comcast account manager

Michael Paoli michael.paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Sat Sep 23 21:59:00 PDT 2023

So ... my first pass, general impressions and thoughts ...

Context - the initial target of this communication is sales person.

So, reading/skimming - I'm thinking aren't any parts in it that are
"horrible" or uncalled for.  But I'm thinking, however, optimizing for
the target - and hoped for effect ... I might be inclined to reorganized
very roughly as follows ... and I'm not even that sure on it at this
point ... I may want to ruminate on it a bit more, and have at least a
second pass ... and probably some more detailed feedback, after I've
mulled over it a bit more, so, I might also alter my evaluation.
Anyway, first pass, I'm roughly thinking, etc. ...:

Yes, there's significant problem, but perhaps rather than hitting as
hard and detailed on that - at least in initial / earlier bits of the
communication, start with that it's not only a problem, but was recently
"fixed" by Comcast, only to recur again shortly thereafter - and with
the relevant references on that (most notably including Comcast
Business's service tickets or their other reference numbers.
So, I'm thinking probably lead with that.

And then delve into the seriousness of the problem, starting with how it
threatens the business relationship, and not only that, is having other
Comcast Business customers seriously question their relationship with
Comcast Business, and at least some bits of this information and
communications are open to the public, so folks are watching and may
well be noticing if Comcast Business will in fact be able to
satisfactorily resolve this ... or not, and the matter may garner more
attention if Comcast Business cannot or will not satisfactorily resolve
the issue.  And as for technical details, sales person would likely get
highly lost by those, so I might be inclined to include those - but
much father down in the email, and mention that, e.g. something like
"for the relevant technical details (and further background), see
further below in this email" ... something roughly like that.  So
sales/marketing person won't get lost in that and never make it to
points also relevant to sales/marketing person, yet be well included in
the email, so if/where they pass it along (directly or indirectly) to
relevant technical folks, at least those technical details will also
all be there in the email.

I'm thinking perhaps bringing up stuff like tort and contract violation,
or things of that matter, perhaps better left for later communications,
if Comcast Business fails to, cannot, or will not fix the issue.  I'm
thinking a more vague "may garner more attention" or something like
that is probably sufficient (and likely closer to optimal?) at this
point ... and including that it is already starting to get at least some
of that attention (notably that it's hit SF-LUG list, though probably no
need to specifically call that out ... I think something like
"communications ... open to the public" may be sufficient to get the
general point across.

And I'm thinking then go to the technical details and background - or
perhaps include them referring to them as (large) footnotes or included
addendum or the like.  May want to also put the customary
signature/contact bits before that so they're not so easily overlooked
- and then probably also at the very tail end of the email.

Anyway, I'm still mulling it over ... but that's kind'a what I think
and come up with for first impressions and related thoughts.  I'm also
thinking bit how to best organize the technical and (more detailed)
background bits - not sure how to best present both of those in what
would hopefully be optimal ordering and arrangement.

Also not sure I've necessarily got optimal ordering/structure/approach
on the other bits - but that's what I seem to come up with on those at
least with first pass impressions/thoughts on the matter.