[sf-lug] SF-LUG list (etc.) hosting: Re: Belated writeup of last SF-LUG meeting

Ronald Barnes ron at ronaldbarnes.ca
Tue Sep 12 12:38:47 PDT 2023

Rick Moen wrote on 2023-09-10 23:06:

> Which leads me to another thing Michael's suggesting:  It's generally
> speaking a good idea to put mailing lists on a subdomain, the usual
> one being lists.$FOO , analogous to the domain's Web site being at
> www.$FOO, and sometimes non-lists e-mail at mail.$FOO .

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's so the web interface to mailman can
be on port 80 at lists.$foo while port 80 on $foo can serve up other sites?

That's how I have mine set up, but I'm no expert on this.

However, I do find it awkward to have mailing lists reside at
@lists.bclug.ca, so I have entries in my /etc/postfix/canonical file to
allow @bclug.ca lists messages to work too:

 > discuss at bclug.ca        discuss at lists.bclug.ca

etc.

> But, anyway, I'd encourage any or all of you to experiment with Internet
> mail as a server operation, because that's the only real way to learn,
> and that's how I and (I'm sure) Michael learned how to do it.

It's a daunting task, and scary having one's own email server open to
all the malicious actors out there.

But pretty satisfying when it all (eventually, hopefully) Just Works.

My domain registrar has begun charging for email hosting, so I'm looking
at moving at least my email away from them to a VPS (actually cheaper,
even for a single domain), perhaps all domain registry business as well.

Any thoughts on what I've done as outlined above appreciated...

rb