[sf-lug] Belated writeup of last SF-LUG meeting

aaronco36 aaronco36 at sdf.org
Thu Sep 7 19:25:50 PDT 2023

Sorry for this belated writeup on last Sunday's SF-LUG online meeting! :-(

Now that SF-LUG's newly-maintained-and-upgraded linuxmafia mailing-list is
up and running, thanks so much to Rick M and of course Michael P for their
earlier efforts this past Sunday! -- pls see at least [01] :-)

Special thanks go to Ken S for his stepping up and taking note of last
week's 'meet.jit.si change (re: initial room creation' post[02] by his
login authentication "using a Google Account _or_ a Facebook account _or_
a GitHub account" around 11:00am (unsure exactly _when_ Ken did join?)

I/Aaron C joined the meeting around 11:10am-11:15am and IIRC, Bobbie S
joined the meeting ~1/2hr later.

Ken was wondering if an Intel Compute Stick with an Atom quad core CPU
Z3735F (1GB mem, 1GB swap compressed, 5GB root, 64GB mounted micro SD)
could possibly handle hosting requirements for the SF-LUG mailing list.
Low power usage, < 5w. He supposed "anything USB2 could be plugged in, but
that would slow things down, increase power..." He also was discussing
installing antiX Linux on one or more of his devices.

Bobbie had an immensely unsettling flooding incident in her apartment that
she was trying to cope with both before, during, and after the meeting.
More topical to the meeting, she was discussing wiping out Windows on her
new Precision. As per her very own words:
...for several reasons I was making space for Windows but I could not get
my distro of Linux installed properly until I had chosen the option of
erasing the whole disk.  This is on the new to me Dell Precision 7730
which has a 6 core i7 8850, 512 GB SSD. and 16 GB of ram. It will take 3
more SSD drives for a total of 2 Terabytes and it will use Optane ram as
well. 17 inch display helps as my eyesight goes down the tubes.  The
Precision was from Walmart at <$500. ... bliss - Dell Precision E7730-
PCLinuxOS 64- Linux 6.4.14- KDE Plasma 5.27.7

The 6540 she has been using had shaky video and the audio was missing.

Bobbie provided a link to the latest Linux Magazine release's feature
article 'Linux Kernel 6.5 Has Been Released'[03].  The important thing
about the URL for release of Linux 6.5 is that it connects to the preview
issue of Linux Magazine, formerly Linux Pro magazine and there we find
links to many other news items including the new <$500 Linux Tablet from
Star Labs.
Bobbie also mentioned fairly-recent releases showing up on
Distrowatch.com[04].  Armbian with lots of version for X86 and other
architectures was the latest and the most prominent.  AntiX is another.

I myself mentioned a local and prolific resource for downloadable
installation images and software repositories for many popular distros, as
well as for its providing a wide gamut of Free/Libre/Open Source Software
(non-dental F/LOSS ;->) ; UC Berkeley's (Cal's) Open Computing
Facility[05].
Also mentioned then several recently-released distros that have been
successfully installing and running (e.g., Devuan 5.0 stable
'daedalus'[06], MX Linux[07][08], antiX[09], Artix Linux[10], Bodhi
Linux[11], Void Linux[12], ...etcetera).

Ken and/or Bobbie are welcome to fill-in whatever gaps in this writeup I
may have possibly omitted.

-Aaron
aaronco36(at)SDF.org

References/links
[01]http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/sf-lug/2023q3/015895.html
[02]http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/sf-lug/2023q3/015885.html
[03]https://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/News/Linux-Kernel-6.5-Has-Been-Released
[04]https://distrowatch.com/
[05]https://mirrors.ocf.berkeley.edu/
[06]https://mirrors.ocf.berkeley.edu/devuan-cd/devuan_daedalus/
[07]https://mirrors.ocf.berkeley.edu/mx-linux/MX/Final/Xfce/
[08]https://mirrors.ocf.berkeley.edu/mx-linux/MX/Final/Fluxbox/
[09]https://mirrors.ocf.berkeley.edu/mx-linux/ANTIX/Final/antiX-23/
[10]https://mirrors.ocf.berkeley.edu/artix-iso/
[11]https://www.bodhilinux.com/download/
[12]https://repo-default.voidlinux.org/live/current/

and yet more conspiracy-theorizing on
PRC's/Putin's/Musk's/rogue-regime-du-jours'/villain-du-jour's insidious
use of Generative AI to more effectively disseminate FUD abt Hunter Biden,
Joe Biden, George Soros, Donald Trump, the GOP,.........