[sf-lug] Using Linux with AT&T internet service.

Michael Paoli michael.paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Sun Jun 18 03:01:34 PDT 2023

Been there, done that ... though that was quite a while back:
http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/sf-lug/2010q1/007451.html

And, unsurprisingly, at least at the time, as far as Linux goes/went,
"unsupported" ... of course that doesn't mean it doesn't work or
wouldn't work.

With most of the larger ISPs on their cheap consumer level stuff, they want
to be able to sell it to, and have it supported by
(near) idiots that can just follow a simple flow chart, click and type some
stuff on some web forms, and that's about it.
They don't want to have to deal with umpteen different variations of
different operating systems.  So, typically they'll
support whatever mass consumer operating systems Microsoft and Apple are
still supporting, and that's generally it.
And often their instructions, software, etc., are quite geared to that ...
and pretty much nothing else.

Again, doesn't mean it won't work, but it's a lot cheaper for them to have
support staff that can barely navigate some simple flow
charts, rather than folks that actually understand networking ... let alone
have a clue about Linux.

So, yeah, often setting up Linux to work with such, is steps like reverse
engineering their Microsoft or Apple specific
instructions and converting it into generic network configuration
instructions.  Most of the time that's it.

And, egad, don't have to do crud like, e.g. install the ISP's branded
browsers or some crud like that ... though they'll more
than happily foist that onto consumers that known no better.  (I think SBC
used to quite do that ... among others).