[sf-lug] The next SF-LUG meeitng, a hint for qhd and lately at Distrowatch.com

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Sun May 28 20:05:53 PDT 2023

Hi LUGers.

	Next meeting is on Sunday June 42023. If you are going to
be in person somewhere public and suitable let the other members
know early enough that they have a chance to figure out how to join
you.  The meeting as usual will be from 11 AM to 1 PM PDT.
I will be at: <https://meet.jit.si/sf-lug.org> .
If i wake up enough to remember the meeting.

                 ==================================

If someone is having problems configuring a Quad High Definition monitor
or laptop display.  I found this on PCLinux Users Forum

> My experience... ONLY on a chromebook, HP 13
> The live cd boots OK, but in native res, about 3800x1900 (all distros boot the same)
> So.. I imediately open a xterm, xrandr -s 1440x810  ((nearly always this res is supported,
> if not 1600x900)
> xrandr works, systemsettings  works, shows all possible resolutions, res are switchable
> Install...if you miss it, well you will have to install again
> after the partition step, I think the grub step there is a video box, prefilled 800x600
> click on box, all available res are shown.. pick one, that will be the ONLY resolution
> xrandr, systemsettings5, show ONLY that one resolution
> you will have. I have never seen this before

                    ==================================
                         Lately at Distrowatch.com
                    ==================================

   Distrowatch Weekly newsletter
<https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20230529>
   Feature Story (by Jesse Smith)  rlxos GNU/Linux

rlxos GNU/Linux A project I was recently asked to explore is
called rlxos GNU/Linux. This distribution is independently developed
for 64-bit (x86_64) computers and it features an immutable filesystem
for the operating system. Due to its immutable nature, rlxos utilizes
OSTree for core operating system updates while pulling in Flatpak
packages for desktop software. The distribution also ships with the
Distrobox container management software for situations where we
need to run desktop applications or command line programs not
available as Flatpak bundles. (We have discussed Distrobox and
how to use it in a previous article.)
    And a long article about his trial of this OS ensues.  He gives
it a high rating.
                  ==================================

  2023-05-26 	NEW • Distribution Release: Oracle Linux 9.2
     Simon Coter has announced the release of Oracle Linux 9 Update 2,
the stable  version of Oracle's distribution built from the Red Hat
Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 9.2  source code but optionally using a
custom-compiled "Unbreakable Enterprise  Kernel (UEK)"  Of course
with Red Hat Source code it uses systemd.
  <https://docs.oracle.com/en/operating-systems/oracle-linux/9/relnotes9.2/>

<https://blogs.oracle.com/linux/post/oracle-announces-general-availability-of-latest-oracle-linux-releases>
OracleLinux-R9-U2-x86_64-dvd.iso (9,792MB),
OracleLinux-R9-U2-x86_64-boot.iso (881MB),
OracleLinux-R9-U2-x86_64-boot-uek.iso (908MB).
Oracle Linux 8, the distribution's legacy branch, has also been updated,
to version 8.8.

                   ==================================

   2023-05-16 	NEW • Distribution Release: Rocky Linux 9.2
	Rocky Linux is a community enterprise operating system designed to be
100%  bug-for-bug compatible with Red Hat Enterprise Linux. The
project's latest update is  Rocky Linux 9.2 which includes a number of
fixes and improvements. The release  announcement mentions an upgrade
issue with Python along with a list of new
  features. <https://docs.rockylinux.org/release_notes/9_2>
  Rocky-9.2-x86_64-dvd.iso (9,018 MB), Rocky-9.2-x86_64-minimal.iso
(1,536 MB),
  Rocky-9.2-x86_64-boot.iso (862 MB)

                  ==================================

   2023-05-16 	NEW • Distribution Release: Tails 5.13
  	The Amnesic Incognito Live System (Tails) is a Debian-based live
DVD/USB  with the goal of providing complete Internet anonymity for the
user. The project  has added a few new tools to the distribution in
Tails 5.13, including the cURL downloading program which will run over
the Tor network by default. Encryption  for persistent storage has also
been upgraded.
  <https://tails.boum.org/news/version_5.13/index.en.html>
  <https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/tails/tails/-/blob/master/debian/changelog>
  tails-amd64-5.13.iso (1,255 MB), tails-amd64-5.13.img (1,265 MB)

                   ==================================

   2023-05-11 	NEW • Distribution Release: EuroLinux 9.2
  	The EuroLinux team have announced the availability of EuroLinux 9.2,
a clone of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 9.2, which includes a number of key
package
  updates. <https://docs.euro-linux.com/release-notes/9.2/>
   <https://en.euro-linux.com/blog/eurolinux-9-2-released/>
   AlmaLinux-9.2-x86_64-dvd.iso (8,853 MB),
   AlmaLinux-9.2-x86_64-minimal.iso (1,698 MB),
   AlmaLinux-9.2-x86_64-boot.iso (804 MB).
   AlmaLinux 9.2 is also provided for the aarch64, ppc64le and s390x
architectures, while separate "live" images with GNOME, GNOME Mini, KDE
Plasma, MATE and Xfce desktops   are also available
<https://wiki.almalinux.org/LiveMedia.html>

                   ==================================

  2023-05-11 	NEW • Distribution Release: AlmaLinux OS 9.2
  	Jack Aboutboul has announced the release of AlmaLinux OS 9.2, the
latest stable version of the project's Red Hat Enterprise Linux clone:
AlmaLinux 9.2 is also provided for the aarch64, ppc64le and s390x
architectures, while separate "live" images with GNOME, GNOME Mini, KDE
Plasma, MATE and Xfce desktops are also available.
  <https://wiki.almalinux.org/LiveMedia.html>
  AlmaLinux-9.2-x86_64-boot.iso (804 MB).
  AlmaLinux-9.2-x86_64-minimal.iso (1,698 MB),
  AlmaLinux-9.2-x86_64-dvd.iso (8,853 MB,
                   ==================================

   2023-05-11 	NEW • Distribution Release: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 9.2
            Red Hat, Inc. has announced the release of Red Hat
Enterprise Linux  (RHEL) 9.2: "Red Hat, Inc., the world's leading
provider of open source solutions,  today announced the general
availability of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 9.2 and  the forthcoming
availability of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.8.   RHEL 9.2 is available on
its customer portal
as a free upgrade, as a 60-day trial for potential new customers,
<https://www.redhat.com/en/about/press-releases/red-hat-delivers-latest-releases-red-hat-enterprise-linux>
  <https://almalinux.org/blog/almalinux-92-now-available/>

                   ==================================

  2023-05-09 	Distribution Release: Alpine Linux 3.18.0
       	Alpine Linux is a community-developed operating system
designed for routers, firewalls, VPNs, VoIP boxes, containers
and servers. The project's latest release is Alpine Linux 3.18.0 w
hich offers version 6.1 of the Linux kernel with signed binaries, musl
libc 1.2.4 which features TCP fallback for DNS,
and Python 3.11. <https://alpinelinux.org/posts/Alpine-3.18.0-released.html>
alpine-extended-3.18.0-x86_64.iso (840MB,
alpine-standard-3.18.0-x86_64.iso (189MB,

	Have a Happy Summer Time.
	later
	Bobbie Sellers
bliss-PCLinuxOS 64-Linux 6.3.4-pclos3-KFR Plasma 5.27.5 on Dell E7450