[sf-lug] Meeting notes for Sunday April 2, 2023 and lately at Distrowatch.

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Sun Apr 2 23:08:14 PDT 2023

Hi SF-LUGers,

	Well I got to the meeting about 10 minutes
late due to getting involved with replying to a
political post.

	Ken S. ,
	Ron from BC,
	Austin M.,
and Michael P. were already on hand.
	A discussion was underway of both Linux and of MS and Mac design
changes.  We agreed that KDE Plasma 6 when it arrives may be a challenge
but we have met Plasma 4 and Plasma 5 in the past and survived.

	Ken hoped of information first hand from someone who had used
QT Designer.  I was able to find a couple of references for him.
<https://doc.qt.io/qt-6/qtdesigner-manual.html> and
<https://doc.qt.io/qt-6/install-qt-design-studio.html>

	Those may be of help, one hopes.

	Then we got into discussing systemd and why it became
widely spread in the Linux world.  I stated my belief that it
was handy for the big deployers who want control over what
software is on the employees work machine.

	Then Wayland the replacement for X was discussed.
Ken is having no problems with it on his machine but it still
does not support all the functions of X.

	Around this time I sent an email to Tom L. and to
John S. Very shortly an image of Tom was up on the screen
apparently eating at the Cafe Enchante.  Later I would
ask him to participate more but that was too much to ask
ask apparently as he simply shut down his connection.
	12:21 John S. showed up just as Ken S. was leaving.
He had been unable to find parking in the vicinity of the
Cafe Enchante so he finally gave up and went home where he
connected for a time then started trying to get the surplus
Chrome Book to Boot from USB.

	12:45 or so John Drew showed up with word of further
online lectures to be done in the near future.  Hopefully he
will post the dates, times and the URL it seems which is
<http://www.semibug.org/ >
	The topics covered at different lectures will include
the Open BSD fast file system, Intel and Open Source and more
to come. Ahh at the semibug address above I found these.
      18 April: Michael Lucas will talk about his new book
OpenBSD Mastery: Filesystems
     16 May: Nick Holland will give a talk on how to use
OpenBSD's CARP (Common Address Redundancy Protocol)

He also brought word of a excellent book.
UNIX: A History and a Memoir by Brian Kernighan (Author)
If you want a copy you can go to the following URL
and buy it.
<https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZQHX3R1>
  I will be trying to get it at the SFPL-Main.

	Now John D. had shown up late and at some point
Austin M. left.   Ron was still on hand

	1305 with hunger confusing me I signed off to
fix my lunch.  People wondered what I would be eating.
I was unsure at the time but Now the Truth can be revealed.
Lunch of l/o salmon, previously frozen french fries and
fresh broccoli.
	After I ate I had to rest.
	About 1800 I started to get up.
	To work on these notes and other matters.
	As always anyone who attended should feel free to
correct any misapprehensions on my part as expressed in
these notes.

	Next meeting will be Sunday May 7, 2023.  But if the
parking around the old meeting place, Cafe Enchante is going
to be consistently bad maybe it would be worth while looking
for alternate space.   Perhaps some restaurant or coffee house
in the outer Sunset area that is close to public transit and
needs the small amount of business we can bring. Or maybe
some place downtown even but it should be easy for people to
find parking on Sunday.  I will consult with a friend and if
he can suggest options I will report here.
Otherwise meeting goes from 11 AM to 1 PM nominally at
  <https://meet.jit.si/sf-lug.org>

	Bobbie Sellers

                    ==================================
                         NOT at Distrowatch.com
                    ==================================

     CAE-Linux 2020
         Motto is "Open Source Powered Engineering"
         This was mentioned in a Usenet discussion and I
went to look it up.  If you are interested in engineering
and using GNU/Linux you might want to take a look at it.
<https://www.caelinux.com/CMS3/index.php/download/62-caelinux-2020>

                    ==================================
                         Lately at Distrowatch.com
                    ==================================

  2023-03-27 	DistroWatch Weekly, Issue 1012
  <https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20230327>
  Feature Story (by Joshua Allen Holm) a review of siduction 22.1.1

                     ==================================

  2023-03-31 	NEW • BSD Release: MidnightBSD 3.0.0
            This is Unix not Linux but I will give it a line cause it
tries hard.

                    ==================================
  2023-03-31 	NEW • Development Release: Lubuntu 23.04 Beta
   - more on the way.
                     ==================================

    023-03-31 	NEW • Distribution Release: Linux Lite 6.4
  	Linux Lite is a beginner-friendly Linux distribution
based on Ubuntu's long-term support (LTS) release and featuring
the Xfce desktop. The project  has published an update to its
6.x series which improves packaging compression for custom
software, offer a new reporting tool to diagnose problems, and
updates the  layout for the Thunderbird e-mail client.
Uses systemd. This used to be a fairly good version of non-Unity,
non-Gnome 'buntu.  Have not tried it lately

                     ==================================

  2023-03-30 NEW • Distribution Release: OpenMandriva 23.03 "ROME"
	OpenMandriva is a general purpose operating system. The
project has published new media for the distribution's rolling
release branch, called ROME. The project's latest ROME snapshot
introduces new editions, including Server builds which do not
have a graphical user interface. Uses systemd and if I was
ambitious I would try it out.  I think a more honest name
would be Moscow or Moskova.
<https://wiki.openmandriva.org/en/distribution/releases/current>
<https://www.openmandriva.org/en/news/article/openmandriva-rome-23-03>

                      ==================================

   2023-03-28 	NEW • Distribution Release: Finnix 125
	Finnix is a small, self-contained, bootable Linux
distribution for System Administrators, based on Debian.
The project has published version 125 which attempts to
offer more flexible package management through a combination
  of Debian's Testing and Unstable repositories.
   Uses Systemd.  Small iso for much more information go to
   <https://blog.finnix.org/2023/03/28/finnix-125-released/>

                     ==================================

     NEW • Distribution Release: UBports 20.04 OTA-1
  	UBports is a Linux distribution designed to run on phones
and tablets. The project is a community-run continuation of
  Ubuntu Touch. The project has published a major update which
upgrades the base distribution from Ubuntu 16.04 to 20.04.
For supported devices check out this URL.
  <https://devices.ubuntu-touch.io/?pk_vid=f1745a7afc5be8431679940620edb002>
Release announcement:

<https://ubports.com/blog/ubports-news-1/post/ubuntu-touch-ota-1-focal-release-3888>

                    ==================================

  2023-03-27 	NEW • Distribution Release: Porteus Kiosk 5.5.0t
	Tomasz Jokiel has announced the release of Porteus Kiosk
5.5.0, an updated  version of the project's Gentoo-based distri-
bution set designed for usein web kiosks: "I'm pleased to
announce that Porteus Kiosk 5.5.0 is now available for download."
  <https://porteus-kiosk.org/news.html#230327>  Very small distro.
  Not sure what it does but it contains both systemd-utils-252.7
and sysvinit-3.06-r1.

That is all, LUGers.

bliss - on the ever-faithful Dell Latitude E7450, PCLinuxOS 2023
KDE Plasma 5.27.3   Kernel Version: 6.2.8-pclos1 (64-bit)
KDE Frameworks  5.104.0 - Qt Version: 5.15.6
Graphics : X11 - Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 5500
15.5 GiB of RAM - CPU 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-5600U CPU @ 2.60GHz