[sf-lug] Questions about Cloud Services

Jonathan Drews jondrews at fastmail.com
Fri Feb 3 06:09:24 PST 2023

Hi Folks:

 I have a little company that sells fabric for sewing online. I currently use Shopify. I looked at the reviews for cloud services at Trustpilot and most of them are negative.

AWS Avg. rating 1.7 out of 5
https://www.trustpilot.com/review/aws.amazon.com?page=2

Digital Ocean Avg. rating 2.0 out of 5
https://www.trustpilot.com/review/digitalocean.com

Oracle Avg. rating 2.3 out of 5
https://www.trustpilot.com/review/oracle.com

Microsoft Azure rating 2.4 out of 5
https://www.trustpilot.com/review/azure.microsoft.com

Typical complaints are:
1) Substandard or nonexistent tech support.
2) Poor security. A lot of complaints about the containers being hacked.
3) Devious billing practices
4) Difficult to admin.

Any guidance you can give me on Cloud Services would be appreciated. My take is that Containers are at the top the hype cycle.

Ideally, I would prefer to run my own OpenBSD Server on bare metal.

--
Kind regards,
Jonathan