[sf-lug] Bot-generated nonsense

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Dec 30 22:35:59 PST 2022

Quoting Todd Hawley (celticdm at gmail.com):

> I'm not sure what "full SMTP header" means myself, but I'm going to guess
> you are referring to the relay points any email takes in its journey from
> the
> originator to its end point.

Pretty much.  The "Received:" and some others are crucial in
knowing what really happened, and are particularly important if there's
the possibility of SMTP forgery by a bad actor.  Forged mails require
some expertise to analyse accurately, e.g., the bad actor _can_ if
really good at his/her trade, inject a few bogus Received: headers,
but the skilled readers should be able to at least find the last-hop
IP/FQDN, despite the disinformation.

Anyway, here are headers from a mail with a _typical_ sort of
abbreviated headers, as shown to me by the mutt MUA.  (Mutt's
display of headers can be adjusted as desired in the .muttrc file.)
Then, following that, are full headers, as I received them, from the
same e-mail.

In this case, there is exactly one Received: header (an honest one),
because this was literally a one-hop delivery, directly from SMTP
host mta94-use2.e-activist.com (IP address 66.187.205.238) to SMTP
host linuxmafia.com .

Notice, though, that for purposes of presentation,
mta94-use2.e-activist.com said the mail was from hostname
enbounce.savingplaces.org, and that the mail was from
email at savingplaces.org -- which is perfectly legitimate, by the way.
mta94-use2.e-activist.com probably sends out mail professing to be from
many associated domains.

We're getting into the weeds, but notice also that there is both a
"From " header and a "From: " header.  The former is the "envelope"
header, and the latter an internal header inside the SMTP envelope.

(I won't bother to include the message text, but you know what it
says:  They want money. ;->  )