[sf-lug] a tiny bit of news and Any one for Games?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Nov 14 18:52:59 PST 2021

[Redirecting back on-list.]

Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):

> Thank you for the correction Rick.

You're very welcome, Bobbie.

[Quoting the LWN.net commenter:]

>> This is not about IBM and not about beancounting.
>
> Well the CentOS compilers will not be Red Hat employees any
> long and that will save a bean or two.

I personally know of no information suggesting that the CentOS Project
founders hired as RHAT employees starting 2014 are likely to be laid
off.  Rather the contrary, in fact, and I'd be surprised to see that
happen.

On what grounds do you say they're going to lose their jobs, by the way?

> Well I have no dog in this race as I am at the opposite end of the
> spectrum as regards need for a Red Hat clone built on its source
> code.

FWIW, long experience in the Internet infrastructure business showed
that CentOS, across several major release trees, was _the_ key
foundation of Linux server farms filling a number of roles.  For
example, a recent employer had a couple of thousand of those spread
across two data centres.  That employer had absolutely no interest in
RHEL licensing and saw no value in Red Hat, Inc. contractual support.
There were no competitors to CentOS that even came close to the natural
appeal of the former.  So, there's a huge amount of interest out there,
and it's Rocky Linux's opportunity to lose.