[sf-lug] (forw) Re: (forw) Re: Something new on Distrowatch and Ubuntu variants.

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Apr 26 19:55:32 PDT 2021

For some reason, this seems to have been once again an unexplained
digression into private mail from an established public discussion
thread.  Redirecting.

----- Forwarded message from Bobbie Sellers <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com> -----

Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 17:12:43 -0700
From: Bobbie Sellers <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com>
To: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
Subject: Re: [sf-lug] (forw) Re: Something new on Distrowatch and Ubuntu
	variants.

    Assuming the stupid hackers have put a trojan in the iso file,
and added the checksum for the bad iso file, what is to keep
them from falsifying the signature as well?

    For many long years signatures were not available and my iso
files generally worked.  Not all because some were gags or poorly
constructed by people who had not yet mastered the art.

    I have seen viruses on Windows and boot viruses on Amiga.
On Windows I caught them with ClamAV from one or another of
the numerous distributions I used to run.  When I first got acquainted
with Linux I tried out lots of distributions.  On the Amiga with an
Amiga specific anti-Virus software which I downloaded and there
were no checksums much less signatures at all in those days.
The virus arrived on the bootblock of an 'on floppy disk' magazine.
I informed the publisher and he corrected the problem.

    A downloaded Iso may match checksums and signatures and
still be unusable due to corrupted install scripts and I have been
dealing with such over the past few months.

    I call them stupid hackers because they are and their idiot
threat to reveal unavailable footage of myself doing things
I do not do or attempting to blackmail me over a threat to
my backed up computer files just show me that I have
little to fear from mischievous but dull children.

    Oh and if members are nervous about the iso files and image
files I download then they can get the checksum and the signature
files and check the isos themselve.  Those are generally down
-loadable even on a POTS line in a few seconds.

    Have a good afternoon all who are reading...

Bobbie Sellers -“Nearly any fool can use a GNU/Linux computer. Many
do.” After all here I am...

----- End forwarded message -----