[sf-lug] REMINDER: TOMORROW!: BALUG: Meeting! (VIRTUAL) 2021-03-16: Michael Paoli: sed - Streaming EDitor+

aaronco36 aaronco36 at SDF.ORG
Mon Mar 15 16:50:50 PDT 2021

Quoting Michael Paoli <Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu>:
> Meeting! (VIRTUAL) 2021-03-16: Michael Paoli: sed - Streaming EDitor+
>
> Yes, we're having a BALUG meeting!!! And it's an online VIRTUAL
> meeting, "of course".
> 6:30pm PDT Tuesday, March 16th, 2021 2021-03-16T18:30:00-07:00
> 2021-03-17T01:30:00+00:00
> https://meet.jit.si/BALUG.org (please see also meeting
> venue information further below)
> For this meeting, we have talk/presentation:
> Michael Paoli on: sed - Streaming EDitor+:

An initial list of sed tutorials+related links to help
some of we Linux users better get up-to-speed w/ sed
SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.org

Direct link to the current revision (at the time of this writing) of
Michael P's fine slideshow presentation, 'sed the Streaming EDitor+'
http://www.mpaoli.net/~michael/linux/sed/sed.odp

Links from the 'References and Examples' slide of Michael's above-linked
'sed' presentation ...

0
* sed per POSIX
https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/sed.html
* man(1) pages:
- sed(1) from Debian https://manpages.debian.org/buster/sed/sed.1.en.html
- sed(1) from UNIX Seventh Edition (1979)
https://www.mpaoli.net/~michael/linux/sed/v7vol1.p155-157.pdf
* GNU: sed: https://www.gnu.org/software/sed/manual/sed.html [+
https://www.gnu.org/software/sed/manual/sed.pdf ] , examples:
https://www.gnu.org/software/sed/manual/sed.html#Examples

* SourceForge: sed: http://sed.sourceforge.net , books
http://sed.sourceforge.net/#books , scripts
http://sed.sourceforge.net/#scripts , games
http://sed.sourceforge.net/#gamez , tools
http://sed.sourceforge.net/#tools , sedlovers
http://sed.sourceforge.net/#sedlovers
* Wikipedia: sed: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sed , examples
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sed#Examples , links to: examples
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sed#Examples_2 , tutorials
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sed#Tutorials
$

Direct link to Michael's Tic Tac Toe sed example for his above-linked
'sed' presentation
http://www.mpaoli.net/~michael/bin/ttt

---

Linux Howtos: System - short sed tutorial
https://www.linuxhowtos.org/System/sed_tutorial.htm

LinOxide's 'How to Use Sed Command in Linux with Examples'
https://linoxide.com/linux-command/sed-command/

How-To Geek's 'How to Use the sed Command on Linux' using Samuel Taylor
Coleridge's epic poem "Rime of the Ancient Mariner."
https://www.howtogeek.com/666395/how-to-use-the-sed-command-on-linux/

Complete Sed Tutorial - by Tutorialspoint
https://www.tutorialspoint.com/sed/index.htm

Linux Training Academy's Linux Sed Command Tutorial
https://www.linuxtrainingacademy.com/linux-sed-command-tutorial/

Other as-yet-unlisted links from Michael and/or other sed power-users

---

Shortlist of books
(note that public library cardholders can access eBooks of these titles
via O'Reilly for Public Libraries online)

sed & awk, 2nd Edition
by Dale Dougherty, Arnold Robbins
Publisher: O'Reilly Media, Inc.
Release Date: March 1997
ISBN: 9781565922259

sed and awk Pocket Reference, 2nd Edition
by Arnold Robbins
Publisher: O'Reilly Media, Inc.
Release Date: June 2002
ISBN: 9780596003524

---

For folks who might possibly require these, there are also various sed
tutorials on YouTube listed here roughly in order of increasing
time-duration (and *no*, haven't yet viewed/reviewed most of 'em ...
so most definitely YMMV :-|)

FactorPad's 'Linux sed command summary with examples' 3m:37s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9If87qlZRQ

Kris Occhipinti's 'SED Tutorial Basic Substitution Linux Shell BASH'
6m:38s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32waL1Z9XK0

LinuxHelp's 'How to use sed command in linux' 10m:26s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCRXpR9VYB8

Luke Smith's 'Using `sed` and Regular Expressions (Unix/Linux command
line)' 14m:55s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaGhpqRll_k

Liv4IT's 'How To Use The Sed Command In Linux With Examples' 15m:43s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RpYGSfU7Lg

Lambdanautic's 'Linux Commands Tutorial - sed basics' 18m:11s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVJpq_Tq-fE

LinuxGeek Golle's 'sed command in linux/unix OS' 21m:49s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0Z1ur81GuE

nixcasts' four-part series entitled 'Understanding how sed works'
1/4 09m:49s ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0mKlIswojA
2/4 14m:47s ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vr8Aao0Mfo
3/4 07m:04s ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4ZcBrJ38I8
4/4 23m:44s ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W95wrzAgdWk

You readers are "of course" very welcome to provide other pertinent and
favorite links on sed - the Streaming EDitor+ :-)

-A

aaronco36 at sdf.org