[sf-lug] The notes for the SF-LUG virtual meeting of 7 March 2021

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Wed Mar 10 13:10:19 PST 2021

Hi LUGers,

     Well sorry this is so late but I had an exhausting week and
a busy week one right after the other.

Attending initially were Michael Paoli, Aaron C, Ken S., John S. and
Dale from the Santa Cruz area.

Topic of discussion were the Mars Rover currently on that planet.
It uses Linux and a Power PC based processor as well as a power
supply converting the heat from a decaying chunk of Plutonium to
electricity which is also used to charge a couple of Lithium batteries
which are used when extra power is needed.  The Processor is based
on the PPC but has been radiation hardened and has shielding as well.
It is a nice item running about $250,000 a copy.  Some found this
discussion boring.

The I figured out that my microphone was muted by the system so I took a
more active role in the discussion.

I pointed out that I had not fixed my Dell Latitude E6540 as the
attempt to gain access to my new smart phone and to get an appointment
for a Covid 19 vaccination had occupied most of
my free time last month.  On request of the interested parties i
related my problems with getting a vaccination appointment which
requires a cell phone number and with a Moto G8 Power smart phone,  it
was supposed to be unlocked but due to circumstances beyond my control i
had to leave it during configuration and when I finally got back to it
it asked for a PIN.   I got valuable information from Ken S. about this
matter and I did get my vaccination on Monday after I gave up on
entering my data fast enough to please the Web site and called the
provided phone number.
Thanks again Ken.

Later Tom showed up and he advised me to seek recompense from
Ebay the seller as it was impossible for the phone to get Locked if it
was unlocked from the start without my input in which case I would have
known the PIN.  Thanks Tom.

Aaron C. wants to alter the Finnix CD to include some extra directories
and Michael and Tom I believe were advising him when I left about 12:59
only raising my voice to say Bye.

I hope people are keeping an eye on Distrowatch.com as they have
news and articles in newsletter out each Sunday evening.  For example
SystemRescue CD has reached release 8.0 but still maintains
separate versions for amd64 and i686 but still fits on a CD.

There is an article in the week before last's issue of the newsletter
relating to the problems that the tester encountered trying to setup
LibreElectric and Kodi.  You can find that issue at the following URL.
<https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20210301>

     Well I hope I am not typing into emptiness and I hope the attendees
who had more interesting matters to deal with will get
back to the SF-LUG mailing list to correct my omissions and forgetfulness.

     I hope people who have had problems or solved problems that may be
of wider interests will come to the meeting next month on
April 4, 2021.

     Don't forget to set your clocks forward one hour for the 14th of
March.  Happy St.Patrick's Day on the 17th of March.
     Celebrate the Vernal Equinox on Saturday the 20th of March and Holi
on the 28th of March.

     Well that is all i can tell you about so far.
     Have a good March.

     Bobbie Sellers