[sf-lug] GRUB2 question

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Sun Feb 7 14:10:56 PST 2021

> From: aaronco36 <aaronco36 at SDF.ORG>
> Subject: [sf-lug] GRUB2 question
> Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2021 20:40:04 +0000 (UTC)

> Am currently on the SF-LUG jit.si meeting with Bobbie S and Tom L
> after somehow getting kicked off the one with John S, Wayne, Ken S,
> Don, Michael P, others(?)

Drats - we again hit bifurcated meeting - same URL
concurrently 2 different sets 'o folks at meeting.
And, if it's like last time when we checked and caught such,
even with same IP address.

Guess that glitch on their server infrastructure hasn't been fully
worked out yet.  Note however, not an issue with Jitsi Meet,
at least as far as I'm aware, but would seem to be something to do
with https://meet.jit.si/ and the infrastructure with multiple back-end
servers behind it.

> Have the "new" desktop Lenovo from Tom set up with Slackware Linux,
> Devuan GNU+Linux and Debian GNU/Linux in a triple multiboot from a
> single /boot
> partition's grub.cfg
> Am trying to determine how the grub.cfg's "--class" directive can be
> best specified for Devuan other than its default "--class debian
> --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os"?
>
> According to a grub support webpage
> https://support.huaweicloud.com/intl/en-us/usermanual-ims/ims_01_0324.html ,
> ......"menuentry 'Ubuntu Linux, with Linux 3.13.0-24-generic'
> --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os " should
> work fine specifically for Ubuntu, so why shouldn't it be similar
> for a Devuan grub.cfg entry as "--class devuan --class gnu-linux
> --class gnu --class os" ??
>
> Still doing research on this; any further input welcome :-)

Hmmmm, --class
https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub/grub.html#menuentry
https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub/grub.html#submenu
Seems GRUB (mostly?) just uses that for grouping of menu items?
At least that's what the documentation seems to imply.