[sf-lug] sudo problem for users

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Feb 1 12:13:13 PST 2021

Hi LUGers.

     I checked and no one has noted anything about this problem.

10-year-old Sudo bug lets Linux users gain root-level access
The vulnerability, named "Baron Samedit," impacts most Linux
distributions today.

By Catalin Cimpanu for Zero Day on January 27, 2021  Topic: Security
Well there is supposed to be a fix for the afflicted out there already
but if you want to read the full article the story is at the URL below
<https://www.zdnet.com/article/10-years-old-sudo-bug-lets-linux-users-gain-root-level-access/>

     We have a very long file on PCLinux Forums relating why the way
Ubuntu et al uses "sudo" is dead wrong, dangerous and backward.
It can be accessed, I believe, at the following URL
  <https://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php/topic,90479.msg758079.html#msg758079>\

PCLinuxOS uses "su -" to get to root and GUI commands that are
root intended put up a window to get that root password as
well.

     bliss - “Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light.”
― Groucho Marx