[sf-lug] PC with only 4 GiB of installed RAM (was the most recent: "some notes..."

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Tue Jan 5 13:00:53 PST 2021

On 1/4/21 10:25 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Michael Paoli (Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu):
>
>> Whippersnappers!  ;-)
>>
>> Back in my starving student days, to get extra storage, since
>> I didn't have the 25 cents to spare in my meager budget to buy 100
>> new punch cards (each of which only had 12 rows x 80 columns - so
>> 960 bits, or 120 bytes per card ... 12,000 bytes for your hard
>> earned quarter (or 2 bits, or 6,000 bytes per bit, just to make
>> things really confusing by mixing monetary and data units).
>> But you only got all those bytes if it was in binary....
> "Binary"!  You nouveau riche types.  Back in my day, we could only
> afford unary.  (And we were grateful!)
>
> (Watch out, or we'll end up doing the whole Four Yorkshiremen skit.)

     And what is wrong with the whole Four Yorkshiremen skit?

     We had no computers in my day.  My first calculator did only
multiplication and
division, it was a sleeve that wrapped around my pencil. displaying
tables.  My first
electronic  calculator which I did not want was a gift from someone who
did not
understand arithmetic very well.  Unary did not exist and binary was
hidden from
us we had to use 0-9 if we got over counting on our fingers and toes.

     Word Processors are very handy.  I learned Palmer Method with a
steel dip pen,
and lots of pencils before the pen. My writing was legible  until I
became a nurse
and had endless charting to do.  But by then we had ballpoint pens and a
pocket
protector was essential.  My first Word Processor was  PaperClip by
Batteries, Included
of Canada and ran on the Commodore 64 where I learned to embed formatting
commands and output was to a 9 pin dot matrix and display on a monochrome
Gorilla monitor.  It has a disgusting yellow green color that was
advertised as amber.

     That word processor came on a 161 kilobyte floppy disk.  The
floppies were very
expensive costing about $2 each and not all 5.25 floppy disks would work
in my
  Vic-1451 didk drive with a serial connection

     Oh well enough of the fond recollection of my middle-aged self.

     Gnome 40.x is on the way. I don't see as anything but a variation
on a theme
but you can read about at the following URL.
<https://news.itsfoss.com/gnome-40-ux-changes/>

     Stay safe all.

     bliss -“Nearly any fool can use a computer. Many do.” After all
here I am...

     .