[sf-lug] Slacko-Puppy is back!

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Jan 4 18:50:33 PST 2021

On 1/4/21 3:10 PM, John wrote:
> I remember puppy being very small under 100 mb.  I guess it is getting more features
>
> John
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jan 4, 2021, at 2:30 PM, Bobbie Sellers<bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com>  wrote:
>>
>> Hi LUGers,
>>
>>      Puppy Linux is back in a Slack-based edition.
>> Does not use systemd and has 32 and 64 bit
>> versions.  Unlike its recent imitators it does
>> not use Ubuntu repositories.  It is built on top of
>> Slackware Linux 14.2.
>>      Distrowatch has some more details but I
>> see this as a positive step for the Puppy.
>> Downloading it right now and the bigger
>> version is 343 Megabytes.  Will add both
>> versions to the SF-LUG distro library.
>>
>>      Bobbie Sellers

         Yes John I had a problem that took me some time to resolve with
my attacked devices where
I keep old iso files (37 versions of Puppy) and you are correct that
features have been added.

     But it has alread had much larger volumes in the past, as various
repositories were explored.
a few releases back it was Ubuntu based and now it is using Slack as it
properly should.

slax-64bit-9.2.1 was back in 2017 and it was about 120 MB slimmer.

I checked this package list by the way and it does not include systemd.

According to apologists for Lennart Poettering it would not be required
until

we see Puppy EE or Enterprise Edition using Red Hat respositories and source

code. **:)**

  Bobbie