[sf-lug] Ransomware threat to Linux servers

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Nov 9 17:03:33 PST 2020

Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):

> I don't know how System Administrators are selected and hired.  I
> would assume long years in classes to get through.

Here's how it works:  You install a Unix, and start administering it.

I did that starting in the 1980s, when I was still a staff accountant
and tax preparer at CPA firms with no particular IT background.

Nobody told me I couldn't do it, so it worked.

> The only system I administer is my own.

Congratulations.  You are now a system administrator.  The trick now is
to learn on the job.