[sf-lug] chroot(2): Re: Sandboxing Zoom (etc.)

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Fri Jun 12 09:38:07 PDT 2020

Michael Paoli writes:
[lots of great details about setting up a chroot]
Love it, thanks! I'll save that article and go through it in detail,
and maybe try it for Zoom.

> And, ldd(1) and strace(1) come in quite handy for determining what's
> needed and/or why it doesn't (quite) work.

That got me thinking, and I wrote a little Python script to help
with that. Give it a command, and it runs it under strace and
gives you a sorted list of all the directories containing files
the program opened, and the list of files from each directory.
That, combined with the chrootbuilder script that Rick mentioned,
might make this at least a bit easier. And it's kind of fun to
run in general, to see what files are being opened.

https://github.com/akkana/scripts/blob/master/dirsneeded.py

        ...Akkana