[sf-lug] qemu-kvm? :-) ... Re: Virtual Box running fine...

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed May 13 12:56:32 PDT 2020

[snip recommendation of qemu-kvm, with which I concur]

> Although VirtualBox is (much) more cross-platform in terms of host
> Operating System, and somewhat simpler install and setup, it does
> leave one beholden to Oracle and non-free software (fails to meet
> DFSG).

The latter claim is incorrect.  VirtualBox is GPLv2.

VirtualBox Extension Pack is under a proprietary licence (gratis for
home users, etc.)  This optional extension adds these enhancements:
"support for USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 devices, VirtualBox RDP, disk
encryption, NVMe, and PXE boot for Intel cards".  Without it, USB
speed is limited to USB 1.1 rates.