[sf-lug] Ah, us listadmins get mail ... <sigh>

Todd Hawley celticdm at gmail.com
Sat May 2 15:41:43 PDT 2020

On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 8:06 PM Michael Paoli <Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu>
wrote:

> Yeah, there's lots of different, uh, "reasons".
> Some just aren't up to it (but somehow were when they subscribed? ...
> maybe they had someone do it for them back then, and they don't have
> that anymore ... who knows).

I'm reminded of a time many years ago when I maintained a web site for a
local
Professional group that also had two "phantom" mailing lists (may have been
for
job listings and/or group announcements, I'm not sure). No one in the group
seemed
to know or care what they were for. They may have even used Mailman.
I decided to send out a test message, just to see if they still worked.
They did. I
immediately got a very snarky email from one person demanding to know how
they
got on the list, how I was going to get tons of complaints about the "test
email,"
and REMOVE MY ADDRESS AT ONCE!

So I replied back saying that so far, theirs was the only complaint I'd
gotten (and turned
out to be the only one I received on a list that had several hundred
addresses) and how they
or someone at that email address had originally subscribed to it and their
address had now
been removed from it. Didn't evenget a thank you in response. :p

I've lost track over the years on countless lists I've been on of how many
people can't or won't
follow instructions on unsubscribing from mailing lists and like you say
expect someone
else to do it for them. Another group I used to be a member of subscribed
me to their list
(which is somehow entwined with Google Calendar) and I've never been able
to unsubscribe. If
I tried to contact them about it they'd ignore the email, so I just send
the occasional emails
I get from them to my Spam folder. Works great and I don't have to read
their inane chatter. :D

-th