[sf-lug] problem with the longer messages resolved ... do they not reach the main list they do not reach the test list ...

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Sun Apr 26 21:02:17 PDT 2020

> From: "Rick Moen" <rick at linuxmafia.com>
> Subject: Re: [sf-lug] problem with the longer messages resolved ...
> do they not reach the main list they do not reach the test list ...
> Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2020 12:00:05 -0700

> Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):
>
>>     I am going to resend that longer post shortly and if it fails
>> to show up I will cut it up into at least two posts.
>
> Not sure why either your ISP's SMTP server or your mail client would
> ever be _that_ sensitive to message length.  For the record, my SMTP

Perhaps the issue isn't at all the length, but rather content.
Some bit of software (bug, filter, whatever) may be tripping up over
something, and rejecting it, or dropping it, or outright failing and
letting it (mostly) fall into a black hole.  Anyway, if it's not even
making it as far as SMTP attempt to the linuxmafia.com side of things,
then likely somewhere at the end of client, or whatever processing between
there and MTA that would nominally transfer to linuxmafia.com ... well,
something fails ... and that's also particularly bad if it gives the
sending user no indications that the send attempt has failed.
So ... may not be the length that's the issue.