[sf-lug] (forw) Re: (forw) Re: Brave browser

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Apr 25 22:33:27 PDT 2020

So, basically 'live URL' means 'URL'.  Okey-dokie.  ;->

Yes, Cyberfox hasn't been updated in almost two years, as you can easily
see for yourself online.

----- Forwarded message from Bobbie Sellers <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com> -----

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2020 21:51:27 -0700
From: Bobbie Sellers <bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com>
To: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
Subject: Re: [sf-lug] (forw) Re: Brave browser

On 4/25/20 9:22 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
> It would scare _me_, relying on an unmaintained one-time port of a huge,
> public-facing piece of software, but, strictly at your own risk:
>
> http://web.archive.org/web/20180906042707/https://download.8pecxstudios.com/latest/Cyberfox-52.8.0.en-US.linux-x86_64.deb
> http://web.archive.org/web/*/https://download.8pecxstudios.com/latest/Cyberfox-52.8.0.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2
> http://web.archive.org/web/*/https://download.8pecxstudios.com/latest/Cyberfox-52.9.1.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2
> Cyberfox 52.9.1 is a mid-2018 release.  If my calendar doesn't lie, that
> means it's um... old -- and that's the very latest Cyberfox release
> code.
>

> (I'm still mystified about how a 'live URL' in this context would differ from a
> URL without the 'live' qualifier.  But hey, what do I know?  I've only
> had a Web server running for a bit over a quarter-century.)

    Well in Usenet Newsgroups where I linger against the dying of
the medium

having live URLs means readers can get to the material in which they or the

poster may have an interest.  Since you cannot have images on text
only Usenet

and have to a lot of decoding when you are binary newsgroups in order to

see the images you can have URL that have to be copied.

    A lot of people fail to wrap the URL properly and it splits at
the line length

limit.  Usually brackets of some sort and I usually use <URL>  to hold the

URL together so that if it splits into one or more or several lines it might

still work.

    I have a fondness for Usenet as that is where I learned a lot about

the Amiga computer back in the day.  Some people assert that Usenet

is the original Social Media as it has a lot of Newsgroups devoted to

different matters of interest.  Newsgroups such as alt.os.linux.mageia,

rec.arts.manga, rec.arts.anime.misc, alt.os.linux, alt.os.linux.ubuntu.

There are groups dedicated to spreading information about working in

ceramics and groups dedicated to selling stuff.

> I'm glad we're all agreed that it's based on Firefox.  ;->
            Could we do other?
> Specifically, Cyberfox is one of a large number of third-party forks of
> the 2016 pre-Firefox 48 codebase, the release where Mozilla, Inc.
> deliberately broke XUL & XPCOM in Release Edition and Beta Edition.  A
> year further on, they also broke it in Firefox ESR, and, worse, made all
> of the browser release code refuse to run extensions unless they are
> cryptographically signed by Mozilla, Inc.
>
> So, for all of those reasons, quite a number of offshoots of the
> pre-Firefox 48 codebase have sprung up, and are variously semi-popular.

    And Cyberfox is old?  Well I may have to look around for
something more modern

but in no hurry as it just works for me.  Palemoon was a bit more
problematical.

    Bobbie

----- End forwarded message -----