[sf-lug] Debian install without a desktop

tom r lopes tomrlopes at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 03:05:15 PDT 2020

Flashing cursor like that, in a legacy bios system, means the boot loader
is missing .

There needs to be something installed to the MBR of the drive.  I'm not too
familiar
with Debian but I would guess that a some point of the install you would be
asked
where to install grub.  This should be something like /dev/sda  or
whichever drive is
set to boot.  Not one of the actual partitions.

> I then re-did the install all over but this time left the top asterix
> ('*') in place as shown here:
> {*] Debian desktop environment  # I deleted the asterix on this line the
> first time.
> [ ] ... GNOME
> [ ] ... Xfce
> [ ] ... KDE Plasma
> [ ] ... Cinnamon
> [ ] ... MATE
> [ ] ... LXDE
> [ ] ... LXQt
>
> I've now got a system running and I was happy with it until discovering
> that "copy/paste" doesn't work, at least not from one 'window' to
> another. For example, when I have two instances of Xterm on my screen at
> the same time I can't copy from one and paste into the other- at least
> not using right click highlighting and then left click copy and then
> 'moving' to the other terminal left click cursor positioning and right
> click pasting.

Copy and paste works like that in Ubuntu and in my Arch with Gnome.

Thomas