[sf-lug] Debian install without a desktop

Alex Kleider akleider at sonic.net
Wed Apr 15 16:34:45 PDT 2020

I've finally begun again attempting to set up Debian without a window
manager with plans to install Fluxbox afterwards.
I did the basic install but toggled (off) the option to install a desk
top and all seemed to go well until after the reboot.
That left me in a state where there was a flashing cursor in the top
left corner of the screen but no key board input was recognized.
I tried Alt-F1, .... Alt-F6 and even Alt-F7 but to no avail.

I then re-did the install all over but this time left the top asterix
('*') in place as shown here:
{*] Debian desktop environment  # I deleted the asterix on this line the
first time.
[ ] ... GNOME
[ ] ... Xfce
[ ] ... KDE Plasma
[ ] ... Cinnamon
[ ] ... MATE
[ ] ... LXDE
[ ] ... LXQt

I've now got a system running and I was happy with it until discovering
that "copy/paste" doesn't work, at least not from one 'window' to
another. For example, when I have two instances of Xterm on my screen at
the same time I can't copy from one and paste into the other- at least
not using right click highlighting and then left click copy and then
'moving' to the other terminal left click cursor positioning and right
click pasting.

$ ls /usr/share/xsessions
=> gnome-classic.desktop gnome.desktop gnome-xorg.desktop

So I guess Gnome got installed by default.
It surprises me that gnome doesn't provide the copy/paste feature.

If I do ever figure out how to get Fluxbox working without any of the
desktop environments listed, would I have the copy/paste capability
(that I'd not want to be without?)

Grateful for any advice/suggestion offered, as always.

Alex Kleider
(sent from my current gizmo)