[sf-lug] Looking at Clearlinux

Ken Shaffer kenshaffer80 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 22:22:40 PDT 2020

After running Clearlinux on my netbook at SFLUG's last meeting, I thought
I'd try it on the Intel Compute Stick.  First install glitch was the
failure to pickup my CLR_SWAP tag on a swap partition on another device
from root.  Trying to fix that, clicked on target (again) because it looked
empty, and all my partitioning was thrown out, and a default used.  Oh
well, I had wanted to try f2fs for my microsd flash, but ext4 (less
journaling) works for me too.
  Things basically ran, after getting swap fixed, because the default
partition was only 1/4G, too small for a 1G machine.  Wireless worked, but
bluetooth didn't -- a puzzle since all the necessary firmware was present,
and the rtl8723bs driver has been working since kernel 4.19 (and Clearlinux
was running 5.5...  There's an old bug for that, but no reason currently
for a problem -- Debian Buster comes with a working driver/firmware.  Todo:
Set up a compile environment and rebuild the driver to see if that works.
  The major discomfort with Clearlinux is the totally different way of
configuring things.  An /etc directory which is basically empty is jarring.
I just made an fstab file to change the swap and some root fs options, but
somehow feel that's not the way to use their new system.  Lots of stuff
looks like it got moved from /etc to /usr/share/defaults, but not
everything.  I can use the systemctl to show the root filesystem options,
but haven't figured out how to  change them from somewhere other than my
new /etc/fstab.
  It's just a learning experience for now, but an uncomfortable look at
what a "rationalized" linux might look like.
Stay Well,
Ken