[sf-lug] (forw) Re: (forw) Re: SF-LUG meeting notes for Sunday 02022020

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Mon Feb 3 12:05:55 PST 2020

On 2/3/20 11:30 AM, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com):
>
>> Actually on PCLinux the updates are done by VirtualBox Manager which
>> is likely a script run from the menu.
> One bizarre exception does not disprove what I said as a general distro
> truth.
>
> Much is possibly now explained, however, about your compliaint about
> VirtualBox updates being 'rather large':  If the 'update' is, as you
> suggest, PCLinuxOS just running scripts that fetch an entire new version
> from upstream, yeah, that would probably be a bit 'rather large'.
>
> According to bloggers, PCLinuxOS uses the same slapdash approach for
> LibreOffice, Calibre, and the Linux kernel.  (Good grief.)

     PCLinux uses Synaptic for the additional items you mention so I
fear that your
bloggers have failed to understand PCLinux.  LbreOffice uses a
LibreOffice Manager
and Localization a Localization Manager.   The kernel is updated by either a
script in Synaptic or as I prefer by my conscious choice of the new
kernel in
Synaptic.  Calibre is one of the tools that is frequently updated.

>> Aside from the VB being able to find the file created from the
>> original iso file that is more or less an accurate restatement of what
>> I intended to say.
> I still have no clear idea what 'the file created from the original ISO
> file' is supposed to refer to.  What file?  You give us no idea what
> you're talking about.
>
> Anyway, if this frustrating exercise has led to a useful practical
> suggestion that puts an end to your system (namely, 'Bobbie, try no
> longer deleting or moving around VirtualBox virtual disk files and then
> acting all surprised that related VMs will thereafter no longer start'),
> then this time has not been entirely wasted.

     Where have i suggested that I indulge in such actions.

>> Then perhaps you should let my lapses from your standard go and let my
>> problems go as well.
> You think this is about _you_?  Oh, my sweet summer child.
>
> A Linux user group is a public institution, where people participate to
> propagate understanding and the sharing of knowledge.  When I see
> obvious key problems ignored, one thing I know is that this teaches
> exactly the wrong lesson to others, and I care enough to not like seeing
> people mislead and taught the wrong things.

     I do not teach anyone much.  I do not lecture nor do more than simple
demonstration of tools I happen to have used and of which I have some
simple understanding.
If I lectured I would get a sore throat and eventually laryngitis which
is an experience I do
not wish to repeat if at all possible.

>> As an example you are working hard to keep the mail
>> flowing.
> No, actually I'm not doing that at all.  That's the beauty of
> automation.
>

>> I am indulging in downloading distributions which are either useful to
>> some of the membership or completely irrelevant.
> I may have some further words about that, inspired by Akkana having also
> stepped in and tried to help:  Above and beyond tactical concerns about
> whether to do real installs via dedicated-host reloading (I hear the
> ritualised objection of 'can't afford more hardware; must keep using
> existing software on existing machines) or multibooting or VM/hypervisor
> containter technology, the real problem is:  What on earth is all of
> this years-long tourism, via booting one live distro after another,
> mousing around for a short time without learning anything about
> _actually_ living with the distro, and then moving to the next live
> distro, aimed at achieving?
     Basics things like getting online, which tools are supplied and a
few other simple things.
I don't try generally to do complex things.  My interest is in the
usability of the distribution for
the person who boots it up unknowing as perhaps a beginner might.

> You don't really learn anything that way that you couldn't get from
> browing the distro Web pages and a review (if available).  You certainly
> aren't learning anything about how to administer (any) Linux system.
>
> If that's your hobby, fine, so be it.  But the pretense that this is
> somehow learning something worthwhile, especially as something to teach
> LUG newcomers, is IMO regrettable.
>

>> The results of my previous little survey revealed that almost no
>> individual member is interested in learning about new distributions or
>> in changing the distribution that they use.

     Bobbie Sellers