[sf-lug] RESEND NOTIFICATION Re: I have attached the notification of Feb. 2, 2020 meeting.

jim jim at well.com
Thu Jan 30 08:19:47 PST 2020

(attempt to send notification text in the body of the email)

Hi LUGers,

     Sorry this is late but problems with sending it to the list.

   SF-LUG meets every first Sunday from 11 A.M. to 1 P.M.
at the Cafe Enchante, 26th and Geary Boulevard.

          If you have a problem come along and if we cannot help
we can usually find someone who can.

     If you do not have a problem come along and maybe you
can help someone.

On Wednesday January 15, 2020 I was finally able to get the latest
Linux Pro magazine, Issue 230 for January 2020 as usual at Fog City News
on Market just east of 1st Street and they have chocolate too.

Distributions of the month are Fedora 31 Workstation and
Ubuntu desktop 19.10, on a double sided DVD disk.
Headlines:
  Automation Tricks sub-titled Building custom solutions for the
intelligent home.
  Flatpak Rises New age package system reaches the desktop.

     Make Alexa talk to a Raspberry Pi
     Mozilla WebThings An open platform for IoT.

     PXE Boot Breathe new life into your legacy PC.
     Fun with Python Build a giant electronic scoreboard
     Symphytum Simple database for everyday things
     btftrace Watching the Linux Kernel

LinuxVoice
     o Push notifications with Gotify
     o maddog calls for more women coders
     o Managing ebooks with Calibre

     FOSSPicks
     o Blender 2.8
     o Amass security tool
     o Cookbook recipe manager

     Tutorial
     o Build your own Mastodon client

     And much more!

www.linuxpromagazine.com

Additions to the distribution library!
    All have been check-summed and several will be on
Flash Drive by the meeting. *one Flash Drive!
   If you want to look at a particular
distribution then let me know by a post to the list.

      PCLinuxOS64 2020.01 releases in Usual flavors.
          KDE Plasma5, in plain, Darkstar and Magnum*.
                Mate*, XFCE in regular and mini!
         (Last months Mega has advanced to Magnum.)

     linux-lite-4.8-64bit.iso*

     CentOS-8.1.1911-x86_64-dvd1.iso this is 7 GB!*
     CentOS-8.1.1911-x86_64-boot.iso <1 GB.

      gparted-live-1.1.0-1-amd64.iso
      gparted-live-1.1.0-1-i686-pae.iso
      gparted-live-1.1.0-1-i686.iso

Lakka-Generic.x86_64-2.3.2.img

Lakka seems to be an emulator host for old systems and
games. It is packed in a gz file with a checksum for that file.
For a fuller description go to <https://distrowatch.com/>
or to:

<https://www.lakka.tv/articles/2020/01/22/lakka-2.3.2-with-retroarch-1.8.4/>

I have a new so-called power rescue/security distribution
called Kaisen Linux so downloaded a beta. Checksums come with
the next version I am informed by the developer so no guarantees
on this.  But he sent me some checksums and I was able to
verify my download of kaisenlinux20191229-amd64.isoO

     If anyone is running a dual boot Linux-Windows 10 installation
this may be interest.  Quoting from the PCLinux Forum.
 >        Lots of folks complain of Windows updates messing
 >     up their GRUB installation.
That is because when Windows gets kernel updates it has to
rewrite its boot manager.
 > So this might be of use:
 >     " This will let you block Windows Updates on Win10.... "
 > <https://www.sordum.org/9470/windows-update-blocker-v1-5/>

     Hope to see you on Sunday, February 2, 2020 or 02022020

     bliss