[sf-lug] Portable Unix anyone?

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Sun Dec 22 18:57:32 PST 2019

On 12/11/19 1:36 PM, Bobbie Sellers wrote:

> On 12/11/19 9:09 AM, Tony Godshall wrote:
>>> I can only suggest that you go to the included URLs and read the
>>> relevant information
>>> there and if you cannot find an answer then you ask the developers.
>>>
>>> Sorry I cannot answer your questions myself but those cases are
>>> beyond my experience.
>> No thanks, "Run Unix On Every Computer" is what triggered the obvious
>> questions.
>>
>> Clearly this is just a case of passing on hype without understanding.
>>
>> Exaggerated claims should be treated skeptically.
>>
>> Tony
>
>     Well bring your special computers to the meeting and I will have
> at least one example
> of this on Flash Drive.  You can try it out yourself.  If you have a
> Mac that you want to test
> let me know through the list if you will.  And i will download the Mac
> image.  Otherwise
> i will be bringing in a amd64 version.  Remember this is not a version
> that is designed for
> installation but for use from the Flash Drive.  If your computers are
> not portable then
> I will loan you the Flash Drive to test at home in your own time if
> you will write up a
> brief note about your experience and post it to the list.
>
>         Bobbie Sellers

     Offer withdrawn but will still have the system on a Flash Drive.
     The reason is the review in Distrowatch's weekly newsletter
accessible at the
URL below.
<https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20191223&mode=67>

                  1st problem WiFi driver did not match the laptop's
card and the writer
seemingly did not try to fix it.
                 2nd problem the installer is not working very well. It
said it was
offering choice of two but the chosen file system did not get installed, the
chosen user name did not get installed, graphic login did not work but for
dedicated *nix users this presents little problem as terminal login with the
user name from the USB and startx worked.

     Bobbie Sellers