[sf-lug] Best way to install a .exe firmware updater

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Nov 24 13:24:07 PST 2019

Quoting Akkana Peck (akkana at shallowsky.com):

> In truth, I have the original SSD and can swap that in if it comes
> to it. I was really hoping to find another way, largely because I've
> been wanting to use that nice fast SSD as a backup/external disk
> instead of something that sits around uselessly 99% of the time just
> in case I need to run a firmware updater.

For now, you have a dirt-simple 20-minute solution and IMO should accept
the easy victory.

In the long term, you can experiment with methods to clone your
original-SSD contents to another drive and verify that the results are
functional.  Which would then permit you to repurpose the nice fast SSD.

Of course, the longer this situation exists, the more it'll start to
become that nice, no-longer-very-fast, small SSD.  ;->

> That seemed like a strong selling point when I was comparing models.
> But it looks like it only applies to a few parts of the system.

But Gen 7 is heavily featured in the list.  You know what you need to
reflash, and I really don't (you might have clarified, but it didn't
sink in with me, very sorry), so I'm just saying look at the list
closely before giving up.  (Oh, further down, you say 'trackpad.'
Right.  But I didn't remember that.  My bad.)

> . Though I'm having "one of those days" today: when I
> plugged in a backup drive that was working fine yesterday, the
> partition table was completely gone (!) and although testdisk was
> able to recover the partitions, I haven't yet found a way to recover
> the filesystems that were there.

Ouch!

I recommend going back to bed and seeing if tomorrow's better.  ;->