[sf-lug] (forw) Re: Best way to install a .exe firmware updater

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Nov 23 09:23:26 PST 2019

Sharing Ken's valuable insights with the group.  (Ken, I hope and assume
you won't mind.)

----- Forwarded message from Ken Shaffer <kenshaffer80 at gmail.com> -----

Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2019 09:06:19 -0800
From: Ken Shaffer <kenshaffer80 at gmail.com>
To: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
Subject: Re: [sf-lug] Best way to install a .exe firmware updater

That's an interesting site, Rick.
  I'm pretty sure I always had Windows on the machines I reflashed,
but I do have a collection of DOS/freeDOS boot SD cards.  I was
looking at some old directories with patches for former machines, and
found a text file from HP, which refers to a Windows exe file
(sp43666.exe), and instructions for flashing under a DOS environment.
I'm pretty sure I never did that, having a Windows disk for the task
(which I needed to perform multiple times, since that laptop went
through 3 motherboards) -- heat dissipation problem). Attached below
is the file.  I've still got all the pieces around if the download
links don't work.
  For the real-Windows approach, I have used Macrium Reflect (free
copy) to successfully copy a running Windows system (to a smaller
SDD). Might be an easy way to generate a throw-away copy of Windows
just for the flash.
Ken
=======
-Motherboard Manufacturer and Model : hp dv2125nr (with win xp mce)
-Bios Revision : f3d
-Bios Type : phoenix
-Bios SLIC : hp 2.1
-Bios Link : ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp43501-44000/sp43666.exe
-Rw-everything report:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/0xzlgh

-Manufacturer: HP
-Motherboard Model: Pavilion dv2125nr Notebook PC (for Notebooks with
INTEL Processors - Microsoft Windows/Vista-Based)
-Bios revision: F.3D (sp43666.exe)
-Bios Type: Phoenix BIOS
-Bios Download Link: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp43501-44000/sp43666.exe
-SOURCE of BIOS DOWNLOAD LINK:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-70911-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3245594&os=2100&lang=en
-Winflash Bios Update Tools Included - Determine if your machine is 32
bit or 64 bit -
 Then - Flash your bios in DOS using PHLASH17 (PH161700) on a BOOTABLE
USB FLASH DRIVE
- Rename Modified bios file to BIOS.WPH and at command prompt, type:
ph161700 /x /FORCE /O /C /S BIOS.WPH <ENTER>
-SLIC: HP 2.1
-SLP: HP
-HP Certificate Included
-Tool: Phoenix Mod Tool v0.042