[sf-lug] SF-LUG meeting notes from October 6, 2019

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Sun Oct 6 17:44:26 PDT 2019

Hi LUGers,

     Well we had a pretty good and useful meeting for most of us in
attendance.  I sat down at the largest table and shared it for a while
with 2 non-members.
     I got the Dell E6520 setup without real problems by 10:30

     John S. showed up at 10:35 with, as he threatened, 2 Dell E6420
laptops.   He had indeed installed Zorin Linux on both of them. That
did not stop him from trying out most of the distributions I had put
on Flash Drive and he had no problem getting online with these.

     10:40 Jim Stockford arrived.  It took him a while to join us at
the table.  There was room, the young lady with a very pretty computer
decide to leave the table and shortly after that the man alleged to be
a hardware designer left as well.

     I have some familiarity with Dell laptops and coached Jim a bit
on setting up a trial of Emmabuntus DE 3 1.0.0 for the disabled lady
to whom he will be passing this machine.  Jim had forgotten his
computer glasses and was having a bit of trouble with the display.
After I showed him how to access the main menu on Emmabuntu
he decided to take the machine onward.

     11:00 Ken S. and his wife showed up.  After Jim was satisfied with the
E6520 he went over and consulted with Ken about a problem he
was having getting his power supplies fried and hard disks trashed.
Jim decided to try a less impressive box next time and I donated the
Intel Stick Ken had given me to Jim.

     11:40 Aaron C. showed up. He was having  a bit of trouble with the
Asus laptop he brought in but finally got it working, but decided to take
the other Dell E6540 off of John S.'s hands.   When I left about 1 PM
Aaron was working on a fresh install of AntiX I believe on the Asus.

     After Jim decided he wanted Emmabuntu for his disabled friend the
cheap Flash Drive decided to come apart as I extracted it from the
machine, so I made him a fresh FD from some better quality drives
I came across.

     Jim gave me a ride home and I delivered every bit of the Intel Stick
equipment I could lay my hands on into his hands.

     Anyone attending the meeting is free to correct my omissions or
incomprehension of the activities and asked to do so asap so that the
membership not in attendance will not be mis-informed any longer
than necessary.

     The latest issue of Linux Pro magazine is on the stands at the
Fog City News along with other relevant publications to the general
interest of some of the SF-LUG members and lots of good chocolate.
Yes originally I went in to buy chocolate and found the Linux magazines
there.
     Anyway the current issue on the news stand is for October 2019
issue #227.
     The Disks of the Month are both 64 bit distributions, Linux Mint 19.2
and  Debian 10 Buster.
     The Headline is Backup Practical tools for protecting your data.
shared with GPX Viewer to  Map your tracks and view GPS data in a browser.
     Unbound Setup a local server for faster and more secure DNS.
     Password Generators An easy way to better security.
     LibreELEC 9.0 Turn your Rasp Pi into a media center
     Doomsday Rule A Go program for finding days of the week.
     Jade Desktop Will this innovative desktop environment change the game?

Linux Voice
    • Linux Photo Tools         FOSSPicks
    • maddog on Licensing and Copyright law                        •
Cartes du Ciel
    • TaskBook: Task manager for the command line              • Newsboat
                 • PyRadio

     Tutorial
     • Decentralized Social Media with Mastodon
     And a lot more beside...
     <www.LinuxPromagazine.com>

                        ==========================

     Just an aside: Jade Desktop is mentioned above but KDE and Gnome
are going to be working more
closely together in the future so the game will be changing in any
event.  In the past both sides used
some similar tools and libraries.
     Now they say together that they will be leading the way in the future.
<https://dot.kde.org/2019/07/31/linux-application-summit-coming-barcelona-november>

     Happy Halloween and Happy Day of the Dead.
     Next scheduled meeting is on November 6, 2019.

     Bobbie Sellers