[sf-lug] NUC computer model NUC5PPYH1

aaronco36 aaronco36 at SDF.ORG
Thu Jun 27 13:04:15 PDT 2019

John Strazzarino <jstrazza at yahoo.com> wrote in [1]:
> At the last meeting, Bobbie tried to fix my dual boot (win/10, PCLOS64),
> but rendered it unbootable.  When booting, it brings you to grub rescue.
> Uncertain how to proceed..
> When booting from a USB stick with pclos64
> A df command gives this.....
> /dev/root.old 30M mounted on /initrd
> /dev/shm 3.9G mounted on /
> None 3.9G mounted on /dev
> /dev/sdb1 1.9G mounted on /initrd/cdrom
> /dev/loop0 1.8G mounted on /initrd/loopfs
> None 3.8G mounted on /union
> None 3.9G mounted on /dev/shm
> None 3.9G mounted on /union/bar/run/user/500

A. The 'df' man page (e.g., at ref [2]) specifically describes the space
available on all currently **mounted** file systems, as Rick M duly noted
in his proscribed step 1 within [3].
B. From [4], I'm guessing that the "/dev/root.old 30M mounted on /initrd"
is/was the U/EFI /boot partition.
C. I'm also guessing that the "/dev/sdb1 1.9G mounted on /initrd/cdrom"
and "/dev/loop0 1.8G mounted on /initrd/loopfs" are probably the
**mounted** partitions of the selfsame boot USB stick with PCLOS64 on it.
No big surprises there.
D. From at least these three pieces of info above, I think it would likely
help to reveal all the **unmounted** partitions on that NUC5PPYH's hard
drive as well, using either the fdisk[5] or the working GPT fdisk[6]
already on the PCLOS64 USB stick. Unsure of what exact partition tools are
inside of PCLOS64 (fdisk, gfisk, etc.; for more info on differences in
partitioning, see [7]) and how they might reveal what type of U/EFI +
other mounted/unmounted partitions there are.

In any case, using 'fdisk -l' or 'gdisk -l /dev/sda' from a root terminal
session on a live KNOPPIX [8] boot USB stick has usually provided me very
useful size and partition-type information on what dual-boot OS's I/others
probably have (or had) installed on my/their machines' hard drives.

-A