[sf-lug] No more i386... oops disregard that (was: Raspberry Pi 4 out today!)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jun 24 17:24:56 PDT 2019

Quoting aaronco36 (aaronco36 at SDF.ORG):

> One of today's biggest Linux-related news is that the Raspberry Pi 4
> has just come out [1][2], and is now available with up to 4GB
> LPDDR4-2400 SDRAM (incrementally higher prices for greater RAM
> capacity).

Another bit of Linux news was a sudden U-turn.

Last Tuesday:  Canonical, Inc, announces that Ubuntu will drop i386
support lib packages from Ubuntu x86_64 starting with the upcoming 19.10
'Eoan Ermine' release.  (Full i386 distro support is already dropped for
new releases.)

Last Friday:  Valve Corporation responds that, therefore, Ubuntu 19.10
and later will no longer be supported platforms for the proprietary
DRMed 'Steam' game-delivery client.  (I gather that the problem isn't any
unwillingness on Valve's part to compile the Steam client for x86_64,
but rather large numbers of third-party games never built for 64-bit.)
(FWIW, this change would also prevent WINE from running i386 Winapps.)

Today:  Canonical said 'Oops, never mind what we said six days ago.'