[sf-lug] days until (GNU date + expr) ... Re: SF-LUG meeting notes for Sunday June 2, 2019

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Tue Jun 4 23:08:21 PDT 2019

For better and/or worse, GNU date has extensions way beyond POSIX,
that allow it to be used for various types of data calculations, getting
seconds since the epoch, etc.

So, if one puts in the date, can do something like (or, heck, write
a program where you give the date as argument), and ... nothin'
beyond lowly expr.  Heck, bash even has a bunch of built-in
arithmetic capabilities, but, forgoing those entirely, and only
using expr's basic integer math capabilities ...

$ expr \( $(date -d '2019-06-17 12:00' +%s) - $(date -d 'today 12:00'
+%s) + \( 3600 \* 12 \) \) / 3600 / 24
13
$
Yep, 13 days from today (in current timezone).
And, how's that do its thing?  I'll leave it as an exercise if one
wants to put it into a script with lots 'o nice comments 'n all that
... and maybe even add input validation ...

So - it uses two dates, one given (2019-06-17), and today,
for each of those, it gives seconds since the epoch for noon
that day.  Why noon?  Well, remember, not all days are 60*60*24 seconds
long.  There's +-summer/daylight time changes, leap seconds, etc.
So ... to work around those possible gottchas,
first, calculate seconds between the two noons of the two days,
then add the number of seconds in 1/2 of a 60*60*24 day,
then take that sum and do an integer divide, where we drop any fractional
part ("round down"), where we divide by the typical 60*60*24 seconds in
a day.  That'll give us number of days between today, in whatever timezone
we're using, to the other date we supply - likewise in whatever timezone
we're using.  And that's exactly correct ... unless I or GNU screwed it up.
;-)

I'm sure one could do similar with awk ... if one's using an awk that
has time capabilities in it such as mktime ... otherwise one would
need some bits external to awk.