[sf-lug] calculating meeting dates ... Re: SF-LUG meeting notes for Sunday June 2, 2019

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jun 3 21:35:31 PDT 2019

> Now, one could fiddle, perhaps relatively artificially, with TZ
> (timezone) setting and/or faketime, to more precisely control that,
> e.g. when do you want it to go from current to "next" on "day of" ...
> at the start of the meeting?  Or at its (scheduled) end?

Yes!  When I worked out painfully that awk script on the SVLUG mailing
list, a couple of years back, someone immediately pointed out the messy
edge-case problems involving day boundaries.  At that time, I basically
said 'You're right, but I'm quitting here because this is good enough
for intended purposes.'

> Anyway, ... upcoming meetings ... 'bit 'o Perl code I wrote (I got tired of
> otherwise figuring out all the various (typically [L]UG) meeting dates.

Perl is almost certainly a better language for such things, as famously
awk runs out of power in a lot of areas where Perl excels.  It happened
that the GNU awk date functions were handy and have a good reputation --
and also that I'm good at awk/sed and totally suck at Perl.  ;->

I can also say with at least a little pride that my sed/awk scripts
tend to be pretty easy to study and understand, IMO.