[sf-lug] Jim Stockford (and/or others?): Do you have old list emails?

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Mon May 27 19:33:10 PDT 2019

> From: "Rick Moen" <rick at linuxmafia.com>
> Subject: Re: [sf-lug] Jim Stockford (and/or others?): Do you have
> old list emails?
> Date: Mon, 27 May 2019 13:18:28 -0700

> Quoting Michael Paoli (Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu):
>
>> As for SF-LUG ... Rick may more easily be able to provide some of those
>> details (or at least starting points thereof).  I don't recall in detail,
>> but I seem to be aware of a few gaps or semi-gaps.
>
> During that single period, ~four consecutive months of server downtime,
> people continued to have offlist SF-LUG-related discussion, mostly
> facilitated by Bobbie using a long CC list and person-to-person mail.
> After you and I finally kicked the server back online, I offered to
> merge into the Mailman archive any of that offlist side-discussion
> people wished to retroactively consider would-have-been-mailing-list
> traffic.  ISTR that two or three people provided saved mail in some form
> that didn't require _too_ much work to hammer with awk/sed into usable
> form, and I duly added those thing in.

Yep, well aware of that one - and thank you very much for
all the resource you've provided on that over the years!  :-)

> In a strict sense, there never was 'missing' traffic -- then or
> otherwise.  There just was a few months the mailing list wasn't around.

Yep, true that for that outage, and guess I may well have been
misremembering some much earlier shorter outage (days or so, or
I thought, quite possibly incorrectly, there was a failure, a
restore, and some (slight) bit of (e.g. day(s)) archive emails
lost.  Anyway, *long* time ago, and I may very well be misremembering
that bit.  (Maybe there was hardware issue, but zero data/archive loss,
or maybe I've got it mixed up with some other unrelated event).