[sf-lug] Mobile-friendlying the SF-LUG website (was Re: Status of SF-LUG etc) SF-LUG web site (mis?)information thereof

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun May 26 15:29:49 PDT 2019

> Some of BALUG's older archives are also semi-missing - so that also
> made it harder for me to check(/correct).

If we (for you & BALUG values of 'we') have the older stuff in mbox or
can-be-hammered-into-mbox format, it's actually really easy to add them
into Pipermail's archive.  I've done so a bunch of times on my host and
SVLUG's mail host.

1.  Use 'cat' to slam together multiple mboxes to make one big one, and
make that become the new
/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/balug-talk.mbox/balug-talk.mbox, which
should be 0644 and owned by list:list .

2.  $ su -
    # su - list
    $ cd /var/lib/mailman/
    $ bin/arch --wipe -q balug-talk archives/private/balug-talk.mbox/balug-talk.mbox
    $ ## wait a long time, maybe 20 minutes
    $ exit
    # exit

That's about the limit unless some of the constituent mbox material had
one or more unescaped body text line starting flush-left with 'From ',
in which case /var/lib/mailman/bin/arch (the Pipermail archiver
program) will make hapless parsing errors, which you fix by finding
those lines, escaping each such mbox line with a prefatory '>', and
re-running 'arch'.

Don't make the common mistake of running the Pipermail 'arch' prgram as
the _root_ user, or the geneerated archives will be obscured by a 403
error because file permissions will be wrong.